1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it pretentious to dig your own music??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Yes, be humble.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. No, be proud.

35 vote(s)
    87.5%
  3. I don't know or care

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Carrots.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. I recently uploaded some tracks I wrote and made up in Guitar Pro. Not the best method but effective enough in communicating ideas.

Anyway I was looking at my crappy Myspace page (plug plug)while not logged in and listening to the tunes on my site and I was thinking to myself that one song had a killer groove and was then I caught myself head bobbing to another.

Then I wondered is that pretentious? Or pride? So I figured a poll is in order, haha.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a pretty silly question. if you don't like your own music then you're doing something wrong.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

If I don't dig it, I am not having fun. If I am not having fun, I have the wrong hobby/business choice.

Hearing a recorded version something that was brainchild from within you is a great natural high, dig, or whatever you want to call it.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Not pretentious at all. I would suspect that when a person sits down to write a song, some of their influences and musical tastes find their way into what they're creating, so it would be more odd to not like it.
    Unless of course you're not satisfied with the particular song yet, etc.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think the number one criteria for playing music is that you like it!

The advice ususlly given is not to worry about whether other people will like your music - just concentrate on whether you like it and then hope that some people will have the same tastes.

The other thing is that I believe people appreciate sincerity in music and can tell when it's absent - you can't play music sincerely if you don't like it yourself and I belive it is then a less convincing performance...?

6. Pretty much the end of the thread right there......

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I think it was Nick Oliveri who said "as long as I don't hear the music I like on the radio, I'll just have to make it."

I stand behind that 100%

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think it's more pretentious to hate your own music. The Tortured Artist Effect isn't very attractive to me.

9. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    +10000.

If you don't take an interest in your music, no one will.

10. i dig my own music. if i cant dig it then i stop playing and sharing it

11. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    funny, i was thinking about this the other day....to me, the music i create feels like home. not like a childhood home or anything like that, but something i know inside and out and that came from me.

i go thru cycles. i've deleted a lot of music in a huff because i thought it sounded ridiculous.
    but ultimately, if i'm in a dour mood or having an existential crisis, i can only listen to my stuff.

whether it's actually good or not is a different matter altogether, but it's kinda irrelevant.

12. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Agreed if you don't dig what you made why would you subject others to it? I listen to my own jams and recordings over and over again and some of it I really dig and some of it I'm not crazy about. Just gotta be able to be fair in judging yourself.

Its different if you play your own album every time someone is in your car or whatever. Or think that anything you do is just perfect and couldn't be better...That is called being a ****

13. What he said.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Not only that, but I'm even proud of some drum loops that I've been making recently with the DJ in my dub act.

15. Thanks, I think :D

I'm new to listening to my own music. Some of these answers give me some excellent perspective from the songwriter P.O.V. Something I don't have a lot of personal experience in :)

And Maki I hear ya! I'm proud of some of the drum lines I programmed into GP5 for those songs since I'm not a drummer. The guitar track is shocking, power chords and no real relation to key or scale in the solo's, but that's what I get with little to no chord/scale theory under my belt.

Cheers.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Exactly what I thought.