Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it proper to...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Earthday, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Anchor any part of your hand when you slap?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I don't know anyone who does.

3. I've heard that some artists use the chrome vintage pickup covers as a pivot for when they slap...:confused:

4. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I guess anchor may be the wrong word. I mean to say rest any part of the arm or hand on the bass.

5. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I would call that essential for playing bass.
    :)

6. I, during a slap line, will occasionaly place the heel of my palm against the lower strings, to counter any vibrations from them caused by my meanderings elsewhere on the bass. But, thne again I tend to have a bit of trouble with my bass and sympathetic vibrations (I think thats what you call them).

7. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Okay, serously, I keep my right hand hovering above the area between the neck PU and the high end of the fingerboard. It doesn't really come in contact with the body of the bass itself, save for when my knuckles rub against the pickguard. That's because the old-school Mark King style has always lent itself very well to my natural rhythm and I feel my hands just naturally fall into this position.
    But I know of bassplayers who keep their little- and ring fingers of their right hand locked to that area at all times when slapping. Kind of like Wes Montgomery, I guess. I hear they say it's easier for them to place the hand in 'the right spot' if they have that point of reference.

I don't think you can call either technique proper or improper, just as there are many opinions on what conventional picking techniques should be. Either technique can be perfected as long as you stick to it.Just do what comes most natural to you and you'll be 'right, dude.

8. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Last time i checked there is no suck thing as proper in bass, if it works, it works if it don't it don't.