Is it really a big deal?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sal_Paradise, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Now, I'm new to this whole thing, but stock parts from Warmoth and such seem to be frowned upon. I'm looking to start building basses as soon as I can raise the funds, but I've never made a neck before. I've done pretty much everything else, but... yeah. I look at it as a collaboration. Necks are where I'm weak, so, is there a problem with getting someone else to do it for me?
  2. There is absolutely no problem with doing that, if that's what you want to do. I mean, they are your instruments after all. I just wouldn't go around claiming that they are "completely" handmade by you, and warmoth should be given credit for supplying the neck(s).
  3. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Necks are fun!
    I've been practicing with cheap maple stock from Home Depot. Even if you screw it all up, you can hack the sh*t out of it (which feels kinda nice) and get that nice, new truss rod out.
    I'd ENCOURAGE you to build your own. I built my first instruments with Carvin Neck thru-necks and also many a strat with Warmoth necks. THere's nothing more gratifying than building a complete instrument from scratch! I found that the hardest parts in building a neck are getting the taper on the fingerboard (need steady hand or proper jigs/tools) and getting that darn scarf joint or whatever way your gonna get your head angle. THe actual shaping of the back and such seems to come pretty easily.
    Sounds like your looking to make a fender style neck, so you might not even need headstock angle. Try it out yourself WHILE you order a neck from Warmoth. OR maybe get the neck from Warmoth, then try to duplicate it's specs onto your own practice neck.
  4. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Or if you don't wanna pay for a Warmoth neck, Rondo sells 'em for <$50. I can't say they're the highest quality, but they can't be beat for practicing various neck-hackeries.
  5. Yeah, the main p.i.t.a. parts for me are the neck back to headstock contour. The trussrod channel is real easy if using a 2-way rod... the shaping of the back is all subjective... and alot of fine-sanding... the taper of the fretboard *is* a pain, but if you have a belt sander with a good long flat edge to run on, it's a cookie.

just be sure to draw everything out. twice. than measure and draw again. And get a real good accurate fret-scale rule, and do your slots nice and square like...(to the centerline)

I'm no pro, but yeah, it is fun to do.
  6. Ah, a big thank you to all. Truly.

I had a gorgeous piece of bocote, and I sat for six hours one day filing. As far as I can tell, it turned out okay. I'm just afraid to finish it right now.

Hmmm... I hope that worked...
  7. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i've never heard warmoth frowned upon but then again what do I know...

I find shaping necks awfully satisfying. and like someone said here there is nothing better than completing your guitar with aboslutly no help from stock parts or anything. a surform works well, and it's great stress relife cause it's like taking a cheese grater to the wood. as for the fretboard i didn't have any trouble with mine... coping saw to rough cut followed by hours of sanding did wonders for me.

good luck