1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it really a Gibson SG Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bweyland, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bweyland

bweyland

Apr 6, 2012
    Here is one for all the Gibson SG Bass people. I have tried to find this in Gibson's history on the SG bass but have been unsuccessful so far. What year did the head stock have two slots in it and the tuners were at 90 degrees down from the head stock. You can see it on EBAY says it is a 1972. You can also see the intonation problem with these guitars as the silk is on the saddles. There is a way to fix this if you are interested. Also the pickups are a little funny looking with the black boarder. I am not so sure this is a genuine Gibson what do you all think.

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/261068806533?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Willy

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    SG basses are a recent addition to the Gibson line. The basses you're referring to are the "EB" series. Specifically the EB-3 model.

If you have questions about an ebay auction, a link would be helpful.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You mean EB-0 & EB-3 basses.
    Late 69 to '72 had the split headstock

4. bweyland

bweyland

Apr 6, 2012
    Yes it is an EB-3 check the link.

Willy

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I wonder what "needs a little work" means. He's not being forthcoming, which leads me to believe it's unplayable

6. bweyland

bweyland

Apr 6, 2012
    Check first post for link.

WIlly

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That's an EB-3, and it looks totally legit. Absolutely looks like a '72. The black border is a plastic pickup ring that was on all basses of this type. The pictures are terrible, and I'm highly suspicious of the vague phrase "it needs a little work". Usually there's no such thing as a "little work" on something like this

8. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South

Yes, this. Look at the pic of the action....YIKES!!!!!!:eek:

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That EB-3 is a $1,200 bass. It's been on ebay for 3 days and it's only at $152?? Something's wrong, and it's not "little".

10. If the action was any higher it would take a very strong fretting hand. The wrap on the strings is the last thing to affect intonation/playability on that thing. One bass I wouldn't buy without handling it.

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Do you see the action on it? The truss rod could be bad. I would want clear photos of the headstock front & back.
    The bridge is not stock ether.

A good slotted headstock EB-3 with no repairs should bring $1000-2000.
    A bad one is firewood.

There were very few '72 slotted headstock EB-3's. '70-71 were the main years

There is a reason for it, they broke very easily.

12. bweyland

bweyland

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for pointing that out to me and it does appear to be bad looking at my 2012 EB-3. I thought for the price I could use the electronics tone, volume and switch control circuit to upgrade my 2012 EB-3. Just a thought I hear the circuitry will fit in the 2012 EB-3. Boy that action is way off. I wonder if he knows how to fix truss rod or it is broken as you pointed out.

Willy

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Your 2012 is a SG

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's what the action was like on the first bass I ever owned. And without internet in the day, and being a 14 year old kid, I thought that's what the bass was all about. And why I picked up guitar and started playing that, instead. :)

15. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    There's also no picture of the neck joint, another fairly common point of failure and possible source of the bad action.

It could also be something as simple as the replacement bridge not being able to adjust low enough. Who knows. The "needs a little work" line is troubling, to say the least.

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The replacement bridge would not cause that. The stock bridge sits high because of the angled neck.

17. bweyland

bweyland

Apr 6, 2012
    Yes my 2012 is a Gibson SG EB-3 bass. The serial number is 113721304. They have made a lot of these. I bought it in 2011 so it could be a 2010 I guess. Have to look up the serial number to be sure. I don't think it is a 2012 now.

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    EB-0, EB-3, SG are all different basses.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

If it's the truss that's bad, it's not firewood! http://khguitars.com/go/featured/gibson-ebo-truss-rod-replacement/

If you can get it for a couple hundred, it's likely a worthwhile project. The tuners look like replacements and one is wonky so that needs addressing.

BTW, HANDYMAN, that bridge is stock. http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1969-EB3-9.php Also, if you look at the closeup of the body, the reflection of the bridge on the finish looks like the bridge is set quite high to me. Not unusual to find old instruments set up like crap that are otherwise fine. In fact the overall condition of the 40 year old nitro tells me that is has likely been stored well, away from heat, cold and damp.

20. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    that is the orginal bridge but I think it's earlier than '72. the neck pickup moved towards the bridge in '72 and the 2 point bridge with plastic saddles were used in earlier years, too. the high action could be a result of the bridge sitting too high but it's hard to say just from the pics.