1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is it really a gig? it feels more like a backstage pass.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Sep 12, 2008.

1. so a few weeks ago i posted about playing a gig (on trombone)with the local symphony. well the gig consists of hanging out back stage for an hour and forty-five minutes. then going up to the balcony and playing 20 measures of whole notes. :eyebrow: this feels more like a backstage pass than a gig to me.

oh well one more show it will still be fun.:D

2. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Local symphony means orchestra? I don't know if you are used to do it, but for me, playing in an orchestra, even if it is just some notes, would be an awesome experience.

3. yes, it is an orchestra, and it is pretty awesome to be part of it; but the fraction of a tune that im playing is so easy it doesn't feel like im really doing anything.:meh:

4. Are you getting paid to do it?

5. no

6. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Well...it could bring other oportunities. The music business is all about the right place and right time and most important, right friends.:D

7. i already get good deals on instruments, so i guess one step closer to paid gigs is a step in the right direction.

8. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Agreed...By the way, can't you get some jazz gigs since you play trombone too? It must be quite nice instrument to play, specially on jazz.

9. yes, ive actually turned down a few jazz gigs because i was double booked. :cool:

it is easier to get jazz gigs if you have a full combo than as a single musician or fill in.

10. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I can imagine...I see you have a lot of possibilities.:hyper:

11. if only i had bass gigs lined up too. i could stop my search for a part time job and just jam all day long.:)

12. Then have fun with it. It sounds like a blast to me.

13. it was fun:D