1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is it really an ibanez lawsuit-era copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    ok, i need you help...

it`s supposed to be and old ibanez lawsuit-copy, but I`m not certain is it the real deal. I`ve searched the net about it, but the copies had different logo on them.

I can grab it under 100 bucks, to make myself a nice fretless jazz, and do not worry about fooling with it... :bassist:

Could anyone help mi with verification?

[​IMG]

2. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    front...

[​IMG]

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    bump, anyone... ?

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Looks like a good deal to me.
    I'm a sucker for Jazz copies though.

5. Good deal only because it's a bass under $100.

BUT, there is something very fishy about this bass. AFAIK, the "lawsuit" era was the mid 70's. Ibanez made several copies during this time, a Jazz included. My problem was that these basses were manufactured with a different logo style. The modern logo version wasn't put into use until the late 70's/early 80's. The old logo was a script style (maybe to carry the "copy" idea further?). They also carried other designations on the headstock like "Silver Series" etc. Another fishy thing is that the art of the logo on your headstock doesn't seem properly proportioned, and the letters seem to have some distortion. Unfortunately, your .jpg doesn't blow up clear enough for me to really define the design. If it IS as I'm seeing, I would suspect someone has put a bogus logo on the neck to make it something it's not. For the last detail that is fishy, the Ibanez Jazzes had the full Fender style ashtray covering the bridge AND the treble pup. There may have been a larger cover since the rear pup is showing to be slightly narrower than the front pup. If there aren't any holes for a larger cover though, then this isn't an Ibanez Lawsuit Era Jazz.

IMHO

:D

6. Hey, I just saw the pic of the back of the neck. Nope, this isn't an Ibanez bass and now I'm sure of it. The good copies were absolutely true to the originals. That included a single walnut "skunk stripe" on the back of the neck. Your bass has 2 such strips and that isn't any Ibanez I've seen.

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Good eye Hambone.
    The pic of the back of the neck is inconsistent with the front. Where did the neck laminates go? They disappear in the headstock. Something's goofy. I'd stay away from this one.
    I do like the lacquer checking on the back though.
    Also, the nut looks like P bass width as opposed to jazz.
    Very strange...

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm not convinced that it's a lawsuit Ibanez. I am about 99.9% positive that I have one. I bought it used in 1978. My Ibanez logo on the headstock is that scripted writing that has been previously talked about. My neck is a three peice neck, but there are no different colored strips. They look like three equally thick pieces of maple. Also, my Ibanez fretboard has block inlays (although that may not matter), and the metal plate that connects the neck to the body is rectangular with 4 bolts.

I also agree that the neck looks more like a P bass neck, but you have the two J pickups.:meh:

I've been meaning to take pictures of the bass. I'll try to do it this weekend and post them.

Bob

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    For $100 I don't think you can do too much wrong. It's not a lawsuit model, like Hammy said, but if the body is decent (it looks like it has a cool vibe), it could make a good fretless jazz, like you said you were wanting to do.

10. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Thanks guys. I think I`ll pass on that one. I guess, i will wait few weeks and look for something in the 400-500 $ range. Any sugestions?

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You can also see if you can take the neck off the body. If it has 4 bolt holes instead of only three, then you know it's it a switch job.

The logo isn't right for the time, and I can't think of any Ibanez lawsuits that had a three bolt neck. You could probably do a lookup on the serial number on a website somewhere.

If you want a decent bass, you might want to wait and see if rondomusic will get any of their '75 Jazz copies in stock again. They have a maple fingerboard and a 3 bolt neck, if that's what you're after. The body is made of ash, and best of all I got one for well under $200.

12. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Yeh i think it is a bit fishy if you look at the head on it it just says ibanez and that you can't see the truss rod and it normally says what type of model it is. you see the pic is my ibanez roadster 2

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The really early Ibanez basses were just copies, so they didn't have any model names. The neck on the whole bass pic looks like a lawsuit model just because it has a Fender style headstock, but as Hambone pointed out, the back pic is inconsistent.

last of all, early Ibanez basses had a different lettering style, similar to the pic I attatched.

I would pass on this bass for that reason.