Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is it really necessary to have all these basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 6, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Last night I played my Stingray for a gig, for the first time in two months. For other gigs, I had been relying on my Marcus Miller and P-bass. But last night I was impressed with my sounded and my Stingrays feel more than anything. And afterwards, it got me to thinking, is it really necessary for me to even own the Marcus Miller, the P-bass, or even my Lakland, or want to get an Ibanez ATK, Stingray 5, and custom Valenti. I've told myself I only want two more basses, then I'm through buying and starting to save up money to move out of my parents house, but as of now, I'm thinking of actually cutting back, getting a back up bass, perhaps keep the P-, or get a regular Jazz, Stingray, and a different 5 string that would suit my tastes. Anyone got any thoughts?

~Patrick

2. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I know what you mean. I am now in the process of thinning out my herd for this reason. I only play my Spector Euro 4 for gigs and about 75% of my practices. (Bassicly, it's all I need) I also currently own a SR5, Cirrus 6, a Fender Prophesy(converted to a fretless) and a Spector NS5CRFM. It is not necessary to have all of these IMHO but lets face it, it is what we love. Sometimes you have to ask youself if you could use the money for something better in your life. I have a 30 year old friend who has 30+ guitars. He is a lawyer up to his ears in debt and still lives at home. I mean, he could sell 10 of these and put a down payment on a house! Just try and use good judgment and appreciate the great basses you already have. The grass always LOOKS greener on the other side of the fence.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Listen. You need each and every one of them, plus a few more. Tell her I said so.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    That's a tough call. Looking at your profile, you've got some great basses that would be hard to part with, if they were mine. I think each bass you have has a signature sound, so IMO you don't have any basses that 'overlap' tone-wise. If you plan on going with only 2, the basses I'd keep would be the Lakland and the P-Bass, but that's just me.

Since I've bought my Roscoe and Modulus, my MM SR-5 and Sterling are expendable. The other basses I have will never be sold. I'm selling my MM's to help finance a nice piano for my daughters.

(Although I'd like to buy another Roscoe! :eek: )

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There is no Mrs. Only a concerned mother who wants me out of her house. :smug:

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Already :eyebrow: You're two years my junior :smug:
    Not like I wouldnt like to move away, but unfortunately that is not yet possible.

Anyway, back to topic.
    The instruments I now have all have a purpose: there's a semi-hollowbody guitar, a 4, a 6, and an acoustic 4. The one I would most easily part with would be my 4, but there's a similar one on sale locally and it hasn't been bought for months...

In your case, some questions:
    SR - you like the feel and tone, right? Keeper.
    MM sig - how frequently do you use it? Might be good to have a 2-p-up bass around - this or the Lakland
    P-bass - how much can the SR replace it's tone? Or is this the kind of tone you're after?

To cut it to the minimum, if I were you, I'd get a J and a SR5.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man this is the way i work my basses!

A really trusting 4 string--95 warwick corvette-pro-line
    My 5 string that i play most of the time-usa spector bolt on
    and my frettless! NEEEED my frettless!-usa fender jazz

It has taken me years to come to that 3! And except for the update that i will make soon on the warwick to a dolphin that will probably set me for a long long time!

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Corvettes are very nice. But so are Dolphins, they have more growl. Just make sure you get an older one with a good neck, like the Corvette. (And I'd keep it if I were you. If you really like it and it is your trusty 4, why part with it?)

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well the way I'm looking at it now, is I think I should trim down. I just got through playing some MIA Fenders at Guitar Center and was fairly impressed. I'd like to have two 4s at least for backup. I think a MIA Jazz would fill that second 4 position perfectly. I'm a fundamental traditionalist when it comes to how I like my basses, and a passive, traditional Jazz would be great. As for a 5, I don't really think there is a 5 string standard anyone adheres to, like the P-bass is to the 4 string, so I guess that spot is open to speculation.

But I'm not sure why I'm just now realizing this. I guess I just got too caught up with GAS. But the truth is, I don't need a bazillion basses. I'm not after any certain tone, or playability. I'm actually not particularly picky about my basses tone, so I don't know why I wanted so many.

~Patrick

10. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    I have 2 basses right now, soon to be 3. Now I want 50. Its kind of an obsession. One you start buying them you just cant stop. :p

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There you go!
    Problem sold
    On to next question :smug:

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Oh i will keep the corvette pro! Just be adding another bass! Probably leave my corvette out at band practice and use it there and just brieng the dolphin to shows!

13. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, it's a personal decision, really. Do you NEED all those basses? Probably not. I played gigs for some 10 years with a Ric 4001. Never had a problem whatsoever. Look, in my particular case, I got out of music for a number of years and when I "came back" decided that I wanted to get a number of different tones. So, after much experimentation, have settled on a 4003 and an American Deluxe Jazz that I primarily use....that's the operative statement here. I still have 6 other basses that I play frequently. Love them to death! But in all honesty, I got sick and tired real fast of trying to cart all those beauties around! The Ric and the Fender give me everything I need for gigging. So, I guess the decision lies in just what you are looking to achieve.

14. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Patrick,

I go through the same mental gyrations all of the time. I have 4 basses, soon to be 5, and I wonder if I really need them all. The truth is, I don't. I could do all of my playing on a single 4 or 5 string bass and I'd do just fine.

However, I really like to have a palette of tones at my disposal. That's what I have an ATK, a MIJ '75RI Jazz, a Brice V2 fretless, and a Heartfield DR-5. They're all really different basses. I just ordered an Ibanez RKB900 to fill the Pbass/P-J bass slot.

The majority of the time, I play the ATK. It's just a great bass, and I like the simplicity of the single pickup. There's something about the way the strings feel on that bass that makes it nice to play. BTW, I think you might find an ATK redundant if you already have a Stingray.

Could I get rid of all but one bass? Sure - I'd keep the Heartfield and dump the rest. I'd have a 5 string for when I need the extended range, and it has a lot of great tones. I'd certainly miss the others though. Except for the Brice, I could be left with any one of my basses and be fine on 99% of my gigs and rehearsals. I just wouldn't want to have a fretless as my only axe.

If playability and tone aren't a huge concern, and you'd be happy with any of your basses, why don't you keep the favorite (Stingray?) and 1 backup and call it a day? I'd keep the Lakland myself, but I'm partial to Jazz basses.

15. I only have 3 basses...that's how many basses I will keep...

I'll get more, perhaps when the children are grown and on their own. But for the next 18-20 years...the number is only 3.

Three is a lonely number :crying:

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would rarely sell any gear that's already paid for. you'll rarely get what you put into it, and besides you never know when you'll change your mind :).

17. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Says the man with the bajillion Conklins ;)

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's casue he never sells them. :)

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think there's an unwarrented romanticism attached to having "one bass." Not even nessicarily one in number, but like, one fretted, one fretless, a doghouse and good night Gracie.

You may only need one bass, or two, but hell, where's the fun in that? Take unnecessity to all new levels of "meh." Because, remember, there's going to be that freak night where three of everything you brough breaks, and on that night, you'll be glad you owned four of everything.

Myself, I apply this to amplification. You can always turn it down, you can't always turn it up. Re-word that to jive with bass, and there you have it.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear that. Things I shouldn't have sold (and counting)-
    Eden 410XLTs
    Spector NS2000/5
    Ibanez ATK
    G&L L2000

... and so on.