Is it really necessary to polish your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kroz, Dec 7, 2015.

1. kroz

kroz

Nov 29, 2015
  2. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It is more imperative to dress the fb with something so the wood won't dry out. (unless as some maple fb's is coated) Overly dry fb wood is not a good thing. There are commercially available products specifically for the fb.

TalHaz, Bajo Clarkko and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. kroz

kroz

Nov 29, 2015
    like what?

4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

MUN%20MN105-Large.jpg This stuff is great for fretboards.

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    100% lemon oil is excellent for fretboards

As to body and back of neck: Don't use much wax as that is just a dust/grime collector, but yes, a tiny bit of Pledge to clean it is fine, just do not leave residue. A slightly damp cloth lightly used is OK as long as the cloth is like really old, soft T-shirt. They sell "special" cloths for this, but I prefer an old T-shirt soft a butter. Make sure you do not rub very hard because any roughness in cloth can leave scratches or other surface marring.
    All in all, a gentle wipe-down to all you need to get oils, sweat, other acidic body gunk off everything.
    And no, there is no funk in gunk. There are however, dead skin cells, mucous and other nasty stuff.
    Clean is easy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Only if you want to get rid of the Mojo ;) I only did it with my Warwick's.

LowStringNinja and BassGreaser like this.
  7. kroz

kroz

Nov 29, 2015
    well thanks for the help guys.. but i know this might be a weird addition to my question the bass I showed you guys i have.. it feels well.. like its covered with enough paint or finish? to where it doesnt feel like wood... like it would be pointless to rub oil into it.. as it wont reach the wood..

as opposed to a guitar like this http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/gibson-sg-signature-pete-townshend-392886.jpg , while yes it is painted.. but you can still feel the wood.. and it could still benefit..

8. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany
    For my fretboard i use virgin olive oil.
    It's good for my bass and for my spaghetti :)

9. Charlie Blue

Charlie Blue

Apr 12, 2014
    none
    I would wipe the neck after each use with a clean micro fiber towel to all the oils and grime left from my hands.
    I would wipe the strings as well for the same reason w different towel.
    The painted body parts I clean when I feel like it, before a gig maybe or at string change.

You don't need to clean and buff like a car unless you use overdrive.

yakmastermax likes this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Same thought. Only basses I felt it was imperative to clean and "treat" were my Warwicks with the the oil finishes. I do clean my other basses when they get mucked up enough (w/ Ernie Ball guitar polish), usually whenever I change the strings... but don't by any means feel it's necessary. I've never treated any bass necks with any kind of oils, and have heard conflicting opinions on lemon oil. Lots of people seem to thing they actually cause a neck to dry out. That sounds odd to me, and I don't really know, but what I do know is that I've owned some basses for over 20 years without ever doing anything to the necks, and they're fine. Come to think of it, I have a Warwick Fortress One with a very wooden wenge neck, that I never put anything on. It's fine. And it's close to 20 years old.

I think sometimes people worry obsessively over things they need not worry obsessively about. And sometimes people just like to take really good care of their belongings. I fall into the first category :), but not regarding my bass guitars.

Davbassdude and TMARK like this.
  11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    The Dunlop lemon oil and body polish is great. Number 65, I think.

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Only if it's a Polish bass. ;)
    Kania 001.jpg Kania 004.jpg

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Your bass is coated in poly - that's PLASTIC. To remove swirls is like polishing car headlights: you need grit to do it right. Most other costly instrument products only lift the grime off unless you rub like a madman; but if there's no grit (rosin, chalk, etc.) you'll get nowhere quick. Windex works just as well and is cheap and won't harm PLASTIC.

For the fretboard, just wipe it down. I have a 54 year old neck in front of me that I know the original owner of... He, I'm all that time, merely wiped after playing to remove grime. It is fine.

You can use a little lemon (flavored) oil now and again; just a dab. Smells nice. Lemon oil is just mineral oil with lemon scent added. It is not oil from lemons. 100% lemon oil is marketing BS.

keyofnight likes this.
  14. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    It's kinda like brushing your teeth, you only need to brush the ones you want to keep!

15. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    That's why we call it a teeth brush in Kentucky. Cause we brush both of 'em.

16. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I oil mine with finger swet

17. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    This is important. An overly dried fretboard can become so stiff that it renders the truss rod useless, not allowing for the adjustment of needed relief.
    A couple of years ago, I tended to an acoustic guitar, on which the fretboard was so dried out, it required several applications of fretboard oil, before the fretboard was pliable enough to be adjusted.

shadven, JIO and hintz like this.
  18. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I use feed and wax orange on the fretboard when it looks like it's drying out. That's about it. I'll clean everything off with a soft damp cloth every now and then when it looks like it needs it.

Here's a link to the feed and wax. Lakland suggests it for fingerboard conditioning and it's pretty easy to find at your local hardware store: Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner | Howard Products

Max Blasto likes this.
  19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I've heard this as well and was recommended to use "Dr. Ducks Axe Wax", its supposed to be great for everything on a guitar or bass, finished or unfinished, metal hardware, plastic knobs, even pickups!! I used it for 3 years living in a dessert climate so no drying out occurred with my fretboard, but i ran out unfortunately:(....

20. no. everyone knows a clean bass is an un-funky bass.

SasquatchDude and TMARK like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021