Is It Really So Bad ? (Improper Left Hand Technique; Unruley Thumb)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Aug 13, 2005.

1. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    When I started played, I had no problem keeping my thumb on the back of the neck, in most situations. As I've progressed and began learning new songs, and building up my skills, I've noticed my thumb is getting "sloppy"; I put more emotion into songs, and my thumb ends up "rocking out", depending on what Im playing at the time. I've never had any kind of pain in my wrists, and I play on average 2 - 3 hours a day atleast. Is this really a bad thing; that my thumb is moving and reacting to my playing? When I force myself to follow procedure, my playign becomes.. stilted? It just doesnt flow right, and I even have trouble really laying it down.
  2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's easy to revert into so called "bad habits" when we get into what we are doing. I see and have seen plenty of bassists with extremely filthy fretting hand thumb technique, and there getting "paid". My advise it this:
    When your practicing try to use proper technique always, eventually you should began to play how you practice(if you are practicing enough!!). Don't sacrafice feel for technique in a live performance situation, do what you need to do to get the job done. For alot of popular music the bass parts are technically simple and quite easy to play, your thumb can do whatever and it makes little difference. When you start to push things a bit, and want to play faster and sport some chops, that's when you need to have good technique to really get the speed, comfort and results you need. Good technique is not necessary, but it can help give you and edge. Take advantage of every advantage you can, it will only make you better!!
  3. Keeping the thump behind the neck is not essential, it will creep up at times. It's not really a problem as long as it doesn't cause discomfort. The main problem occurs when this discomfort turns to injury, or even just hinders your ability to play some more complicated parts. Just don't make a habit of it, because again, it could cause some damage to your technique and your thumb itself.