Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it really that big of a problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 4, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I tried to get a Fender MIM Jazz from the factory with a P-bass neck. God knows that they can physically do it with no problem, but I don't see it THAT hard of an order to fill. I know it's a huge operation, but it's not like they have to change machines right? Just grab a different neck. I know they make P's with Jazz necks, I just want a backwards one of these and don't want to deal with trading necks with people. Why is this such a big deal for Fender?

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Their reasoning is probably that if they do it for you they would have to do it for anyone that asks. I feel the same way about the necks.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't know. Lakland will make the switch without a problem and so will any other smaller company, which is probably why my jazz-style will be a Lakland JO with a fatter neck. I don't see what the big deal about Fender doing it, it would make more people happy.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And what do you mean by this?

5. I guess because they dont like changes in the production line. It's one thing to choose between them if they're already complete and it's just a matter of choosing color and fingerboard combos. I wouldn't expect that kind of special order out of the Mexican factory, that's for sure.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Any chance in getting one from Fender Japan?

7. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Probably because Fender is such a big company so they are so used to shoving J necks on Jazzes and P necks on Precisions (and occasionly Js on Ps) that when someone asks for a P neck on a Jazz, they have no idea what the hell to do.

It's like the companies that charge more for fretless basses. It's out of the norm for them so they're gonna make a big deal about it and charge you more money than is necessary.

Also, if the P/J combination that Fender uses alot is the "best of both worlds", does that mean that yours will be the worst of both worlds? :D
    Jk
    Good luck

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, reminds me of what the guy at GC said... "what the hell would you want to do that for?" LOL. Don't get me started on GC, but it's what I like, fat necks on skinny girls... :p