Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is it really the guitar or the person behind it ?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rooster, Jan 27, 2001.

1. rooster

rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    ok !! i read many theads on this forum.and this is a bass related question.everybody here likes one brand or another for there own or other peoples reason.meaning this great player plays this or that so it must be good.i personally dont believe this.ive seen quite the opposite.ive seen people take the crappiest guitar and sound great and i know the equipment takes some responsiblity for this (meaning amps,effects,speakers etc,etc,)back to my question is the brand of guitar all that important in the way we sound ???or think we sound ???lets see some (IMHO'S)here.

AND REMEMBER AS ALWAY'S ROCK TILL YA DROP !!!!

2. IMO it is all in the hands and heart of a player and not so much what tools they use. It is certainly possible that certain tools are better suited for one player or style than another and you can make quality comparisons, but declaring some bass to be the best is just as bogus as it is true. .

Years ago we sold a classical guitar to an electric guitar player who is known for his tone, he payed everyone and picked one in the middle of the price range we had available, but his sound came through on everyone, he chose the one that felt the best and responded to his touch.

Just because Flea, Geddy, Fieldy, Jaco or some schmuck like me chooses one bass over all the others dosen't mean you should. Make your own choice.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Given one player and a range of basses, that player usually will sound better on a better bass. Buy the best equipment you can afford. You'll be less apt to find yourself blaming your equipment.

4. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I would have to agree with Mungi, but with a few acceptions... I firmly believe that each player has there own voice, which is a wonderful combination of several things; these things being hands, knowledge of technique, how they hold the bass on their body, how they set the electronics on both the amp and the bass etc. Basses of higher quality will tend bring out the finer nuances of these things, while basses of lower quality may amplify the shortcomings... Then again they may not. Case in point, have several basses, and the two that I always fall back to are a Mexican Jazz bass, and a Hondo P bass with an EMG replacement pickup. No other J bass or P bass has been able to light me up the way these do. I have a Modulus on the way... We'll see about that one too...

5. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    Right on BassBrad! That says it all.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To elaborate on what Brad said, I read an article several weeks ago, where some legend, I think it was Joe Osborn, said years ago he was in the studio, and in the room next to him he heard this bass tone from heaven that made him think, "I've got to catch this guy on his way out." So, after his session, he accidently on purpose ran into the guy with the "wonder tone" in the hallway and asks to see his bass. Turns out, the guy was using a Teisco del Rey.

(For those of you who were a gleam in your father's eye at the time of Teiscos, they were one of the ultimate bottom feeders of electric instruments, when "Made in Japan" meant, "You Must Really Be Desperate)."

7. IMHO a good player will find the best sound that a piece of equipment can make. Be it a crappy amp or a great one, a junky bass or a custom $5000 one. But, that "best sound" might still not be anything you would want to have others hear. If it is an axe with the strings 3/4 of an inch off the fretboard, that bass is going to be a devil to play no matter how good the player.
    I have had a couple of off brand basses over the years, and one of them was a good sounding bass, but after a few months the neck got such a bow it became unplayable.
    Buy the best you can afford, as long as it sounds good, and you can do what you need to with it. Stanley Clarke on a bass that just goes "thud, thud, thud" is not going to be the SC I am used to.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...IMHO, the player *IS* it!

Now, a Stanley story(if I'm remembering it right) ;)
    In SC's early electric days, he was playing a Gibson EB-0; playing HIS thing on that instrument...I dunno(do you?). ;)
    Anyway, the guys who started Alembic caught RTF & met up with Stanley post-gig. Supposedly, they told Clarke that his playing was great, but his tone/sound sucked; they the showed him their bass(an early Alembic)& the rest is history. ;)

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Its mostly the player IMO. But gear matters, otherwise we would all be playing rogue basses and amps. :D

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    for me, i'd probably have a plethora of cheaper axes along with my customs if any were available with 7 strings. a large reason why i have the basses that i do is that they are the only ones available that will do what i need them to.

11. It's certainly the player's ability. I owned a crappy instrument for years, and adapted quite well in my opinion. Finally getting my hands on some good gear brought my playing up to a whole new level, though.

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    IMHO its the player but, some people spend time on technique but not the actual sound. Jimk's Stanley Story
    sums this up. A good player with a cr*p sound is only half the equation.

CS-cr*p player cr*p sound, at least I'm consistant. :)