1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is It Rude to ask a lutheir for pups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by unclejam, Mar 10, 2008.

1. I know I know but i can NOT Afford a custom bass by one of you guys.

The tone you guys acheive brings me to tears.:bawl::crying:
    So I figure that i can get close to yalls tonal bliss by your pickups.

----------------
    Now playing: Samantha Sang - Emotion
    via FoxyTunes

2. Alot of them use pickups that are not wound by them. Tobias uses Bartolini, many others use Nordstrand. Fodera uses Aero pups, but I can't remember what Sadowsky uses.

The ones I know use their own special pups include Ritter and I think Jerzy Drozd. Skjold makes his own now too I believe.

3. a few of our own luthiers here make their own also. I am sure they are reading this right now

4. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    As long as you ask politely, and let them know what you're planning to use them for, I certainly don't think it's rude.

You've got to be willing to take no for an answer of course.

5. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    who did you have in mind to ask anyways?

6. Sadowsky pick ups are made by Seymore Duncan. It never hurts to ask the builder. I am looking into putting Citron pups in my Ken Lawrence and HArvey Citron has been nothing but helpful in getting the right ones.

7. im in a toss up between Jerdzy Drodzed, Redeemer, and Ramirez(this one is out via Wilser only makes Pups for his Basses)

:hyper::crying::help:

----------------
    Now playing: The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
    via FoxyTunes

8. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    FBB but I think he might only make them for his basses.

SGD, a guy on here too, will definitely sell them aftermarket. He makes neodymium pickups.

9. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Rude? No why?
    If they make a living doing this, they will welcome your business.
    If they won't sell pickups alone, they will say no and you still just made them a compliment.
    Go ahead and ask!

Sadowsky uses a lot of different pups: EMG, Nordstrand and his own(don't know if he makes them himself but his name are on them) and i've seen Sads with Barts on them too.

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Let me know how it turns out. I am thinking of replacing the Aeros on my second KL and Citron never crossed my mind

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sheldon Dingwall makes his own pickups as well.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    From what I've read, Sadowskys are not from Duncan, but rather DiMarzio, a variation on the UltraJazz. Could be wrong, though.

14. I asked wilser to make me some and he said that he would love to, but he is simply just too busy with everything else that he doesn't have the time to fit a pickup order in. If you are looking for a custom size that you can't find, nordstrand will make you custom sized pickups.

lowsound

15. I heard that as well. There was a site with sound clips and photos, and they were nearly identical in appearance AND sound.

16. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    What pick ups are in your Lawrence? mine has Nordstrand Fatstacks but its fairly new, I am assuming Basslines?

17. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I heard that too.

18. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I believe these are outsourced to his spec...but I could be wrong....

(Fury?)

19. Here's the source about the Sadowsky pickups: http://www.vial-family.ch/bass/

I believe Fury was involved with an earlier generation of the Dingwall pickups.

20. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Yeah now that you say that I think your right...I think Sheldon mentioned it sometime....Fury does make cool pick ups though...