1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it rude to tell a potential project you're not interested by email?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassinplace, Aug 3, 2012.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I was asked to join this band at the audition and said yes, but since rehearsing with them once more I have changed my mind for various reasons.

I was just wondering what some folks opinions were around here about letting them know I quit via email. I'm just asking because the last time I was in a band was so long ago that I didn't even have an email account yet! :eek: So that's why I'm wondering what the protocol is these days. What do you think?

Acceptable or rude?

2. 1 audition and 1 rehearsal? I say email is fine. The sooner the better.

3. i'd say it depends on how well you know any of the members and how will it affect you in the future...by that, i mean that you don't want to be perceived as burning any bridges etc..

it also depends on their location in relation to you. would it be a major hassle or involve major travel on your part to go over and tell them in person.

anyway, whatever way you choose, you should tell them ASAP. don't leave them hanging around thinking they've got a bass player when they don't

tell them you're not going to join them the way you would like for someone else to treat you if you were in the same spot.

it may be a little more of a b**ch, but in the long run, you never hurt yourself by treating people right...even those who, for one reason or another, you have decided not to go forward with.

davesignatureII-1.

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I don't know any of these guys, met them on CL. And to be frank, I don't see them going too far, way too unfocused.

I'm sure I wouldn't be burning any bridges, and if it were the other way around and they sent me an email saying thanks but no thanks, I'd be fine with it.

So email it shall be! Thanks!

5. go for it...but SOON!

davesignatureII-1.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yup, done. Thanks!