1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it Safe to Have a Rackmounted Solid State Amp Oriented on it's Side?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, May 21, 2011.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    b21657e0.

I asked this in the show your amps thread and didn't get a response. Not sure if it's been too often discussed,...but thought I'd just pose the question.

Good/Bad/Indifferent?

The SKB is deforming a little bit but I've been wanting to replace that rack for a smaller yet sturdier rack for a while now.

Aesthetically this orientation is more pleasing but if it's going to cause issues,....I'll put the rack on top of the 4x10.

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    No it shouldn't have any effect on the unit as long as you have proper venting I see no problem with it. I have done this many times in the past with my set up.

3. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    I wouldn't. There may be heavy components on the PCB which will be pulled sideways (downwards) and may come loose/detatched.

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Thanks.... hc_thumb.

EDIT: :eek: Oh,...conflicting opinions.

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I think it depends on the way the amp is design to cool itself.
    If putting it aside let the heat escape normally it's ok. But if the heat of the mosfet goes through the amp heating it. The fan will not keep up to cool it. The amp will clip too easily.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.

Could that be rectified by having a small "exhaust" fan mounted inside the rack?

I have yet to put this config through it's paces,...the rig lives at my rehearsal space and my band is taking a short break. The old 2x15 is new to me (picked it up just after we decided to take a 6 week hiatus to work on stuff). I'm not sure where the heat sink lives in the amp but I get where you are going.

7. I used to do this all the time with a QSC USA900 without issues. The ventilation issue sounds realistic to me. I would guess that your amp would go into protect and you would have your answer if it is a problem.

8. That was not its intended position. That would make me a bit nervous about the idea. I doubt an engineer planned for this...

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Hmmmm,....seems like a better orientation would be to arrange the cabs side by side and put the amp on top of the 4x10. I like having the 4x10 closer to ear level though,.....blarp.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    You already have a wide footprint. Side by side cabs are only asking for problematic sound out front.

11. If the amp is properly designed, the heavy stuff (transformer) would be mounted to the chassis, not the PC board. Anything else with a large moment should also be mounted to the chassis in some fashion. Should be fine as long as it's not being put under shock stress, i.e. don't drop it...

It really depends on the mechanical design of the amp, though.

12. Mechanically it's probably fine, have people really never seen a PCB on its side? Thermal issues would be more of a concern. But, biggest issue for me would be the tendency of the whole rack to tumble off the side. Bass cabs do vibrate, after all.

13. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    so, i know NOTHING about whether that's a good idea or not, but i've run actual heads and power amps on there side ass loads of time, always checked that the ventilation was good, and never had a problem.

THIS guy thinks you should put your cabs at different sides of the stage, bi-amp madness, and DESTROY ALL OTHERS.

imma-fire-my-lazer.

14. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    So why not turn the larger cab up on its end, put the 410 on top, and the rack unit on top of the whole stack? Less beaming from the 215 (or is it a 212?), the 410 is higher, and your rack gear is easier to see and adjust. And most importantly, it would look better.

15. I've run my power amps on their side too many times to count. You'll have no problems.

16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have the exact amp and although I've never used it on it's side, it does cool rear to front; probably a good idea to put the heavy side down.
    Jerrol Tiers from this board knows more about this amp as he answered my question in the past.

17. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would generally listen to Paul here. He knows his stuff.

18. Thanks Jack I appreciate the vote of confidence. :)

OP, the only thing I'd add is to put the amp on the floor. As shown you have a definite tipping hazard.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's fine; don't worry.

20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    So long as the intake and outlet of the fan airflow pattern aren't blocked there should be no issue. Some convection cooled amps might be affected by the heat from the sinks rising in the 'wrong' direction.