1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it safe to hook-up my '1979 Ric 4001 to aCrate VFX5112 tube combo DSP guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cadre bassman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm looking for some great consul on if I could use my friend's Crate VFX5112 all tube combo DSP guitar amp to practice my bass guitar? My bass is a 1979 Ric 4001. I would be playing it at low volumes and don't want to damage his amp. Also, would I get a fair hearing of the low ends from the amp?

Thanks

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Well, I've never really considered a Ric to be a low end heavy bass. You'll be fine as long as you don't crank it.

3. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    plug in.. turn up.. if it blows up.. well great lesson learned.. thats the way we did it in the olden days..

4. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations of max settings for each control knob?

5. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    go all the way up to 11!

6. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    ever tried one? neck pickup - loads of lows.

anyway, re: the original question. you can't hurt his amp, but you might hurt the speaker if you turn it up loud. at low volume it will be fine.

7. The old 4001's, with the cap.....yes

The newer 4003's...no(more beef than my fender J Bass) - the new high-gains are powerful, and punchy as hell for a passive pup.

One of the most common misperceptions about the newer Rics is that they have little bottom...mostly due to the old bridge pup cap in the older models.

8. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Are you saying my 1979 4001 should be ok to use on the amp? My other option is to try to locate an amp when I land that has an input for a CD player and headphone jack to practice on...any thoughts of an amp that would be good for this use and a fair price?

9. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    "When you land"?
    Dude how high are you?

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    is it safe to plug anything into a crate? :ninja: ;)