1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it safe to run my head with no cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It's a Trace Elliot AH250 from the 80's

I've been using the line out for recording with the out put volume at 0, I'm wondering if I can just unplug the cab so that I can make some more room in crapmed space. Will it hurt the amp?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yes. Amps that could not be run without a speaker disappeared long before the 80's.

It is also safe to run the cab with no head ;)

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I wouldn't do it with a tube amp, but if the TE is solid-state, it should be ok.

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Umm, I don't think it's safe to do. Unless the air running into that speaker plug is a minimum 4ohms, I wouldn't try it :)

Seriously though, AFAIK it's nota a good thing to do.

5. You can run an amp without any speakers if its a SS amp. If its tube, you have to give it a load, so you have to have speakers plugged in.

6. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    I guarantee the air is much higher impedance than 4 ohms. The SS/tube factor, as mentioned, is correct. At least according to the FAQ section of Ampeg's website.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Well, I am certainly willing to stand corrected on anything having to do with tube amps.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SS = safe. Valves, no.

9. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    With tube amps, a no load condition makes the output transformer do a voltage step-up due to the inductance of the primary windings and what happens is that you get really high voltages at the tube socket. Lots of arcing and smoke! I've seen this happen before and had to replace the output tube sockets. For the SS amps I've owned, the owner's manual says it's ok to run without a load. I don't know if it's always true, though.