1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it safe to use an effects send from a head out to a combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blacksheep, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Hello,
    I just want to know if it would be safe for me to use my effects send in the back of my Carvin head out to my SWR LA15 combo. My cab is only a 410, so I'd like the extra crunch of the 15, which it can seriously achieve. So would that be alright? To run my halfstack like normal, except use the effect out to send a signal to the LA15 combo? Thanks

2. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Bump. I just need a qualified yes or no...

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm interested in this answer as well.

4. Try it. Make sure you don't use the speaker out though, just an FX out. Plug it into any input on the combo (you can use a bass input if you want to EQ and such, or you can go for a FX in to bypass the preamp). If the volume on the main rig goes silent (such as with a headphone out or w/e) then you need to split the signal chain and send it to the FX in.

5. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    I already tried it. I know it works. I want to know if it's SAFE.

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    AFAIK the FX out sends a line level signal, the instrument IN on your combo is designed to accept an INSTRUMENT level signal... it is OK to send a line level signal into your instrument jack but you might need to pad the input or reduce the input gain so you don't overload the combo's preamp. Even if you do overload the preamp (with a line level signal) it won't hurt the combo you will just get some preamp distortion.

So YES it's safe but watch the preamp gain...

7. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    So, just make sure my combo doesnt sound like it's going to blow up and everything'll be fine?

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Yes it is safe to send a line level signal to an input jack used for instrument level, but it may adversely affect sound quality if you don't take care to turn down the input volume to a level that won't introduce distortion in the preamp. If you typically have the input set to 6 or 7, for example, you may need to turn it down to 2 or 3 for optimum results.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 right. Safe, but likely to be distorted unless you take measures (like turning down the input).

10. Or go from the effects out on the head into the effects in on the combo, which will bypass the combo's preamp. A line signal sounds MUCH better through the effects in than an instrument input IMO/IME.

11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell

+1 that's the way to do it

12. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Should I use the Tuner Out, or the Effects out?

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

They come from the same source and will sound the same. The only difference between the two is the tuner out will be always providing sound while the FX out can be switched on and off, usually by footswitch.

14. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1 FX send to FX return.