Is it safe to..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Feb 16, 2005.

1. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    take the speakers from an old amp i have sitting around and use them in my car. my grandfather was an electrician and my dad has been building amps for himself since he was a kid.

will i need to put them in a speakerbox, even tho they came from an open back cabinet.

2. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    dude that is one gettho system, if you can't afford a real system, just wait, and if you just want anything, get some complete deal amp and subs and box, from best buy or circuit usually 150-350 when they offer them.

Generally, car subwoofers are stiffer, and are made to respond differently. Most are made of different matterials, usually a plastic in natural, as far as guitar/bass, they are usually made of paper, and just a different beast.

You will need a box, no matter what kind of electricin your grandpa is, you still need some mechanical knowledge, and as for a home made amp, unless your dad knows how to make good class D amps, I don't see how this will be affordable or you will get the power needed, you will want probably at least 200-300 watts.

As for wiring a tip, walmart sells a great complete scroshe wiring kit 8 and 4 gauge for cheap, all decent stuff. I usually use 8 unless big power then i use 4 or 2/0. 8 is easy to get through the car.

Before I worked for the speaker company, I worked at best butt as an installer, while some people hate them, if you get a good bay, they are great, usually car guys who love cars and take pride in their work, and they know cars cause they see different ones every day.

Depeneding on your car you need to see where you can run power through the firewall, from the battery to the interior usually trunk. The biggest problem today is that most car companies are not using rubber plugs in the firewall like they use to, so you need to drill. And the firewall has tons of stuff connected to it, usually the only clear place on new imports is near the brake booster, which stinks, cause if u hit it, you are screwed.

good luck any questions just ask
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    SO, IF USING ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING ... is using all lower case whispering?
  4. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    yes i am whispering, you can still hear me though so your amps arent loud enough.

sorry i didnt mean my dad was making the amp, i was just saying we know how to hook stuff up.

WoUlD YoU RaThEr I tYpE LiKe ThIs?

so i will need a closed back cab, thats some 'sound' advice......stop throwing things at me.

and the car is a 76 mini cooper.
  5. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    becasue it is a 76 cooper, you may need a capictor, depending on the power output of the alternator, I am thinking it might not be enough, you will knwo if your head lights start blinking,

whats with all the talk about caps. I would just but a cheap car woofer then use a guitar amp speaker. there are open air woofers, but I just don't see a guitar amp woofer being as effective as the cheapest car sub
  6. One problem that you may have is that the speakers could be 4, 8, or 16 ohms, depending on how old the amp is. Most car systems work best with 4 ohm speakers, because with only a 12 volt supply to play with, you need the lowest speaker impedance, to get the most power out. The value may be written on the back, or you could measure the dc resistance, and go for the next value up (not foolproof, but close).

Using 16 ohm speakers in a car will almost certainly give you low volumes and/or expensive amplifier uprades.
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    First off you can't build a box that's tuned to the drivers without knowing the driver T/S specs. Then there's the matter of their coming out of an open back cabinet, which means they were likely guitar drivers that won't have any bass response no matter what you mount them in.

The first thing you should do is read a book about loudspeaker design, especially those intended for autosound. You can't just toss a speaker into a box and expect it to sound good.
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes. Open back cabs "suck" for bass. :D
  9. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    No, this is whispering. ;)