Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it still a geddy Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 2, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am about to replace the neck on my geddy lee jazz with a moses graphite. the dimensions on the moses seem the same as the geddy neck. just waiting for new tuners, before i can take the geddy neck off and sell it.

so when my bass becomes a hybrid with the moses neck what do i have, a modded geddy or a japanese fender jazz?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a Geddy Lee without a Geddy neck. This discussion has been done, I think the thread is called "What makes a bass" and the decision was pretty vague, some thought the neck, some thought the body, and some thought it was the joining of the neck and body. So I guess you'd have a Moses Lee?

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think the neck really defines the Geddy Lee bass because you could get the body and from several Fender models. Therefore I concur that your bass is still a Lee, but the Geddy neck has left the building.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i like that "moses lee." maybe i'll call it a fender moses lee and people will say "what? is it a new model?"

just curious what other basses have the body of the geddy?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Careful there buddy. Patent Pending ;)

:bag:

6. That is a good question. But I'd say youre taking the Geddy out of the Geddy Lee.

By the way, some people will give their right nut for the stock neck on your Geddy.

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

Any Fender Jazz crafted in Japan ( alder body of course) I would have thought......

8. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX

LOL MOSES LEE I laugh so hard

9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Too late... I've had a "Moses Lee" for at least a month... I parted out my Geddy's neck/tuners to make my Valenti dream come true, and happened to have a Moses neck to put in its place.

Send all royalties for the phrase "Moses Lee" to:
    Joe Anderson
    St. Charles, MO 63303

---Does this mean I need to modify my TB account to comply with the Commercial User's Policy???? :D ----

10. I personally would never replace the neck on my Geddy Lee but having a Moses Lee bass would be sweet!! :bassist:

11. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I kept the neck...I had it put on this bass:

[​IMG]

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd just say it's a Jazz bass with a Moses neck.

Selling the original neck might not be a good idea if you think you might resell the bass in the future. Then again, if you fall in love with the Moses Lee (Pat. Pending) and never want to be without it, go for it.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1. A Geddy Lee Jazz is a '72 Re-Issue with a modified neck.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i just put the moses on and in my opinion its way better than the geddy neck. the radius and dimensions are the same so it is just as thin. the notes sound even across the board no more wolf notes as my grandfather calls them. it feels way "beefier" with alot more heft. the only thing is i really liked the looks of the geddy neck. those black block markers on maple... it just looks great. however, i do like the all black moses look too. i guess i am on my way to putting together a completely black bass. i still have some chrome hardware, but i just bought hipshot ultralite tuners which are black grover style. they are ultra smooth and awesome. this bass is getting pretty damn good!

now i just need to sell the geddy neck and stock tuners to pay down the credit card! oh well.. :p

15. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    No pun intended.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually "wolf tones" is a term used for dead spots on upright basses.

Your grandad is smarter than you think!;)

17. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sir? We're gonna need some pictures of this 'Moses Lee' perp.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    sounds pretty damn good to me. i'll know more when i try it with the band this week.

as for a pic I will try but honestly my wife and i just had a newborn baby so its not at the top of my priority list. However, if you dream of an all black jazz, including pg, with a bit of chrome hardware, you'd be very close. :p

20. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I'll post a few pics of mine when it comes back... it's on loan to my former church. They have a willing bass player, but he owns no bass. :eyebrow:
    I'm building them a budget frankenbass to trade for my "Moses Lee."