1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it Still Worth it To Set Goals With Your Band in 2020?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Purple2020, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Purple2020

Purple2020

Aug 29, 2020
    I've been meaning to have a talk about goal setting since roughly this time last year but last winter situation came up that felt like it wasn't the right time. Now with everything up in the air thanks to Covid I'm not sure how productive or helpful it would be to set goals now. I'm not even sure if we're all still fully interested in going forward with this band since we've spent more time this year not playing together than playing.

hieronymous likes this.
  2. arbiterusa

arbiterusa Guest

Sep 24, 2015
    We are not looking at any attempts to reunite, much less book gigs until 2022. That is the sad reality of the situation.

We may want to do something different by then. Hell, we might be dead. Just lost my longtime musical collaborator up in the Bay Area to COVID this month. 52 and healthy. I'm personally feeling like packing it in at this point but that will likely pass.

So to say these plans are tentative at best would be...honest.

3. Our only goal is to learn new material in the down time.

Other than that it's hope the light at the end of this proverbial tunnel is closer rather than farther away.

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Times like these have a way of forcing people to reassess their priorities. Goal setting at this point might accelerate certain members' decisions to bid the venture au revoir.

mexicanyella, Jeff Scott and LBS-bass like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have taken a new look at my original assessment of the pandemic and at this time I still do not care for it.

landrybass, TK4261, equill and 8 others like this.
  6. I would not be setting any goals at this point. My expectation is that many bands will not be getting back together any time soon, as different members will have different levels of concern over that. As we head into winter, outdoor shows and rehearsals become less feasible and that's going to drive a wedge, as well.

Also, venues could be more sparse and pay will be cut as the venues that do remain try to maximize their returns at our expense. The venue I was going to play with the blues band in the spring for $500 is offering us a $150 plus tips deal for an outdoor show next month; expect lots of that.

Individuals are going to be re-evaluating their priorities and musical activities will shift in that hierarchy, perhaps taking a different form. I'm personally not as keen on playing shows as I once was, and things that have occurred with my former bandmates in the intervening months (in a different band I was in) make it unlikely I'll agree to work with them again. This isn't a great time to be setting group goals unless your commitment to one another is rock solid.

7. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Sure. We’re going on tour next Friday...from one garage to another. Can’t tell you how excited I am.

8. Purple2020

Purple2020

Aug 29, 2020
    I mean obviously now would be a good time to take advantage of what we can potentially build on internally. gigs will certainly not be a thing for a while but is it worth planning out what we want to learn to play, or work on demos remotely.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  9. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Learn new songs at home is my only goal band related right now. Might as well refresh the set.

Bunk McNulty, petch, EdO. and 3 others like this.
  10. In our situation we are all isolated for work and limit trips other than necessary, so we still practice and will try to be ready whenever that light arrives.

I guess your opinion on what's coming will determine if you set goals or not.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  11. There is nothing wrong with setting personal and group goals right now. It is one way to find out if everyone is of a like mind when things do open up. My band got together and set some goals - we discussed limited capacity venues and possibly reduced pay. We discusses how we felt about indoor gigs and the potential risks. If nothing else, a goal setting section will let you know where everyone stands right away.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Is it Still Worth it To Set Goals With Your Band in 2020?
    IMO: it's always "worth it to set goals" with the band! doesn't mean you/i/we achieve them. i'd like to have a 'safe' rehearsal with the other players --- and they want that, too. but we're in a covid "hot spot" ATM, so we may not be able to get together in november as hoped for. maybe december. or january, or.....

we all know we aren't going to gig soon, but that doesn't mean i/we just give up. never give up! accommodate, swerve, adjust, adapt, play dead ( :wideyed: ), practice, whatever: but never give up!

i voted "yes" based on personal proclivities and the demonstrable fact that the proverbial glass is always half full! :D

my heart goes out to those of you who have lost family and/or friends. i am not advocating any risky behavior. i'm a musician: i must look forward to the music.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  13. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    You should always have a goal! COVID might make that goal different than it normally would be, but without a shared, agreed upon goal, you risk the band drifting apart, or people getting frustrated. Good, open, honest conversations about what your goals are and/or should be are always good.

14. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Damn. These COVID threads always make me feel for you guys who are copping it in other parts of the world. I'm lucky to be here. We're still gigging and recording. Not an attempt to rub it in. It's just hard to imagine going through what you all are.

SLIV, TK4261, fermata and 7 others like this.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Sorry to hear about your friend.

arbiterusa likes this.
  16. Seashore

Seashore

Jun 2, 2019
    Lowell, MA
    It depends on your priorities. Shows aren't my livelihood and I have no dreams of "making it big", so this situation hasn't been as musically demoralizing for me as it has for some friends. Both bands I'm in played shows relatively infrequently, so as much as the cancellations and the lack of rehearsal have bummed us all out, our core objective of writing songs together and working on recordings hasn't changed. One band is gearing up to record over the next two or three months, the other is tossing around riff ideas and song chunks. It's fun. We're lucky we're all on the same page. After so many years of the weird missed connections and commitment issues that plague bands even at the best of times, I know how lucky we are. Goals seem a little arbitrary right now but they're important to keep the groups moving in the right direction.

17. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    We are fortunate to still be able to craft songs.

It's definitely different than it used to be, but this has also been a good opportunity to revisit old tunes and see if there's anything we want to adjust.

New stuff is a matter of throwing a bunch of things out there and seeing what sticks, but it's still fun to be able to participate even if it's each of us remotely recording stuff.

We're lucky to still be able to practice safely a few times a month, but we have no delusions of gigging anytime soon.

OogieWaWa likes this.
  18. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    My band just recorded 10 songs and lived to tell the tale. Gotta get it all mixed & mastered and pressed onto vinyl. Maybe we can recoup expenses via licensing and placements. Maybe it's just a howl into the void! You gotta take precautions - but don't stop howling.
    IMG_6925.jpg

obimark, keebler, kbakerde and 4 others like this.
  19. ComeHomeShane, zenrad, 31HZ and 2 others like this.
  20. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Your goal should be to survive... After that, life is gravy. Think about the music and let the future do what it has to...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020