is it that easy?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by taysteman01, Oct 29, 2006.

1. taysteman01

taysteman01

Oct 29, 2006
    so i have recently gotten into the punk rock music. bass parts are very simple in these kind of bands, because thats the style. Usually no more than 4-8 notes are played in the song unless the is a bass solo.

I use a pick, and i have notice while watching some performances bypunk rock bass players that they appear to be completely strumming up and down yet you can only hear the one note being played.

Are they really playing all four strings, or do they just somehow make it appear that way.

How would i come about playing like this myself?

2. chipmunk2510

chipmunk2510

Aug 9, 2006
    Most of them mute all strings other than the ones they are playing. Just basically fret the note you want then mute all the other strings so that you only hear that one note. Mark Hoppus does this alot so watch him.

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    "It's all downstrokes - NO upstrokes" according to Dee Dee Ramone in regards to punk pick style playing

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    In the Flea DVD he has, he says the same thing. I forget how he words it but basically you weren't cool unless you played all downstrokes.

5. I wouldn't listen to the ramones for advice on playing music. Yes for the most part punk is simple to play.

However the bass doesn't simply have to be playing the root notes really fast. For examples on how do it right look at bands such as: Death By stereo, Choking Vicitim, Flaming Tsunamis,SNFU(namely the "one voted most likely...." album) as well as some ska like streetlight Manafesto/Catch 22 and the Planet Smashers

6. Although I'm not a big fan, my friend is crazy about NOFX...and I have come to appreciate Fat Mike's bass playing(not his voice!!)

Check them out sometime.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021