1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it the Amp, Cabinet or both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fuzzychaos, Mar 27, 2009.

1. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I went GC yesterday and played a few Markbass items (Little Mark II through a traveler 102P, CMD102p, Mini CMD121P). I was completely blown away with the tone that I was getting! After I left I began to wonder: is it their Amp, Cabinets or the combination that sounded so good?

I plan on going back soon (during a weekday as to limit the amount of "shred" going on in the guitar section) to A/B the Little Mark II through various cabinets, but I would really like to hear the wisdom of my peers.

2. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I've got a mesa walkabout, and have taken the head to a jam where I knew they just had 2 big ****** 15 cabs... and was blown away by the sound. And I'd heard those 2 big ****** cabs though their original head and they sounded like... well, I don't have to keep saying it. that is just one example, but I'd say as long as cabinets can take it, the sound is way more driven by the head. which makes sense, as the head is the generator of the sound, the cabs are just the slave.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A big great-sounding cab will have a positive affect on a ****** head, too, so it's not all that cut and dried to where you can say it's the amp.

In Markbass' case though, the heads are the special thing about their combos if you ask me. The cabs are nice too, but they're definitely an acquired taste, and some really love them while others think they're the worst cabs ever made. But the love for their heads is a lot more universal.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Well said, Sir Jimmy. Why not carefully select what head sounds really great with a great cabinet.

5. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I pretty much said the same thing in another thread yesterday. The driver itself also plays a huge role in this, unless we're counting that as part of the cab. They're 2 separate entities IMO.

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Fuzzy, I'm really impressed with the LM II head. The only reason I've not bought one yet is I'm waiting to hear a Eden WTX 500 and a "working" G.K. MB2 500 before I make a final decision.
    In the past, when I auditioned the LM II it's been through a M.B. 410 cabinet, and their 410 isn't to my tastes.
    Recently I was able to play the LM II into two M.B. 151P cabs.
    WOW...!
    Try their 15 loaded cabs too, loud, full, crisp, and low weight.

7. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks guys for all your insight. I may wait for the Markbass LMIII, but I am definitely getting one soon. I think I may check it out on a friends Avatar cab.