Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IS IT THE BASS OR JUST YOU??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I heard a saying that goes something like this.....

" A good bass player should be able to pick up any bass and make it sound good"

That sounds really good to me, and I am not sure how far to take that statement, it makes me think about a couple of things...

1: How much do we/ should we rely on the model/make of a bass to cover our lack of technique?

2: A person that has poor technique will sound bad period, I dont care what kind of a bass you put in their hand.

Many of you out there have been around such people and know what I am talking about, " DOES THE BASS MODEL REALLY MAKE OR BREAK YOU AS A BASS PLAYER?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The irony is that only a really bad player sounds noticeably better with a really good instrument.

No matter what I play, I always wind up sounding like myself.

3. There are basses out there that are plain garbage. A more "advanced" player will likely sound better on garbage than a less gifted player. I suppose anyone who is a semi accomplished player can coax something resembling a bass line out of garbage. The question is, can you play at the level you are accustomed to? Your sound is a direct result of your knowhow/ability, in combination with the quality of your equipment (not to be confused with "the monetary value of your equipment"). They go hand in hand.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That saying has a degree of truth to it. But what it doesn't say is "A good bass player should be able to pick up any bass and get a Marcus Miller Slap Tone".

Part of the territory of being a good musician is working with what you've got. Getting a "good" sound is pretty vague.

IMO a high-price bass will do anything but cover your lack of skill. Most people who've made the leap up can attest, it makes all your technique problems jump right out. Whereas an EB-0. . .:D

5. yes I also think that higher priced basses (especially active ones) make errors in playing style a lot more evident (just as using really thin strings can show how much control you really have over your dynamics)

BTW I have an active Yamaha with .40-.95 strings, so I know what I'm talking about

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    When I first got my Modulus, I was forced to REALLY clean up my technique. Every tiny mistake/flaw in my playing was amplified 10X on that thing. The biggest benefit of it was that I feel I am now a better player because of that.;)

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The main advantage a more experienced player has is a more refined technique and a better ability to adapt that technique to the peculiarities of the instrument s/he's playing.

A good instrument played with poor technique will not sound better than a good one. The tone quality might be better, but tone means nothing if the playing's crap.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yes, absolutely.

The ability to use a super soft touch and to really dig, picking the best point on the strings to 'pluck' to get the most appropriate sound from the bass and fretting with the right amount of 'force' depending on the bass you're playing is all part of adaptable technique - something a beginner wouldnt neccessarily have.

Again, it's about personal choice - a great player will make any bass sound good, because what they play comes from inside - a certain bass will suit a certain players technique more than others.

Many TB'ers use G&L basses - I tried one out and hated it before I'd even plugged it in. It just didnt suit my style.