is it the bass or the amp?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i have geddy lee jazz bass and an ashdown electric blue 180.
    on certain notes, like on the "a" string at the ninth fret the note is quieter in ratio to the other notes. i tried turning up the mids full blast with some success. any other suggestions? is it that their is something wrong with my neck?
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I could be wrong but I believe what you're referring to is a "dead spot" on your neck. On many basses there are dead spots, they tend to be more predominant on passives I believe. There are options to get rid of it or alleviate it in some fashion. One is the cheapest, play that note harder when you pluck it to make up for it. Two, there's a device called a Fat Finger which clips to the end of your headstock and somehows "moves" the dead spots off your fingerboard by adjusting the mass of the neck... how this works I have no friggin clue but it supposedly does as others will attest to. That's about all I got for now bro. Good luck.
  3. dead spot.
    add more mass to the headstock. the fat finger or a roll of quarters will do the trick. or you can live with it.

the fat finger can be found at
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    thanks! you guys are awesome! this should totally solve the problem. Okay, now i'm going to get greedy. Could i put two of those fat fingers on for even crazier deep sustain etc? or will it bottom out (pun intended) in terms of ability after just putting one on?

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It will make your headstock heavy and neck dive will most likely result.
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    how heavy are these "fat fingers" ?
  7. few ounces i'd imagine
    i looked on their website and they are no long listed.
  8. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    dead spot on the f# on the a string? a bit out of character for a jazz bass (then again, it's a perfect interval to the infamous c# dead note). have you tested the response of a different amp? you may want to try changing strings as well.
  9. Use of anything to increase the mass of the headstock won't eliminate a deadspot. It will move it around. This means that you're only real chance at eliminating it is to move it far enough down the neck to take it out of your standard playing range.