1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it the bass or the amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drkstr52, Mar 12, 2013.

1. drkstr52

drkstr52

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi, all. First post.

I play a Warmoth fretless jazz-style bass. I just picked up an Acoustic AB50 today. Nice amp so far but... The first thing I noticed is that the E string is almost dead up until the A position. Then it gets loud and sounds more like the other three strings (except a little tubbier). I recently strung the bass with Pyramid Gold flat wounds. I've had the bass for over 20 years and never noticed this issue before.

Anyone had any experience with either the amp or dead notes on the E?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    On a Jazz? Never. However, I did have a small combo once that did that on the low notes from E to G. Pretty expensive combo, too. I'd suspect the amp.

3. drkstr52

drkstr52

Mar 12, 2013
    Looks like I'll be heading down to Bass Northwest and trying out some other amps... (sigh)

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you just changed the strings to a different type/gauge, you also may need the bass set up. Could be the bass.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I say both are suspect.