Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is it the DI box?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Jul 29, 2002.

1. my band recently played a show... and they recorded the set on to a cd... my amp didnt get miced... i had a DI box..

im listening to the recording... and it just sounds soooo crappy... like. wow... i cant even describe it...it doesnt sound like this out of my amp...

why cant they just mic my amp?

im disapointed :(

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It's most likely your bass. Most DI boxes are just passive units (tone-wise) that send the raw tone of your bass to the board; that's what they're supposed to do. :)

It doesn't sound like that out of your amp because your amp is changing the sound through it's EQ settings, the type of preamp (solid state/tube), etc.. Where do you have your tone knobs on your bass set? Is everything cranked up to full volume, or do you have the bass/treble/mids set flat (or just minor adjustments for your sound)?

A soundman can alter your tone at the board as well, they have tons of EQ (usually) at their disposal to change the way you sound.. so it's possible that the sound man thought your Super Ass(tm) tone was "really happenin". :rolleyes:

Sorry that the recording turned out bad man, that bites.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Anytime a sound guy can avoid a mic on stage, he usually will. The mic on your cabinet would have also picked up drums, guitar, vocals from the monitor and anything else that was happening on the stage. Just creating another feedback, level control problem for him.

It probably isn't the fact that you were running DI that made you sound bad. More likely, it was the recording process itself. I record live DI every week for television production and my bass sounds awesome on tape. If you were sending a post-preamp signal into the board from your amp, you should have had a decent sound going to the board.

I have no idea how you recorded the CD, but if you made the CD by simply sending a stereo send out of the master board to a CD recorder, that is probably the culprit.

Depending on how hard you were pushing your own amp and the acoustic nature of the room and the other instruments, the sound guy may have been forced to make some significant EQ changes to compensate for the room, this would have made a huge difference on the tape. He was trying to make you guys sound good live, not on tape.

If this was the case, I don't think it would have made much difference if you were miced.

Recording live shows is fun and makes for a great personal record of gigs, but two-tracking off the master board is usually going to sound like cheese. On the occasions it sounds good, consider yourself lucky.

All these great sounding "live" albums that you hear are multi-track recorded and post-production tweaked for months before they sound the way they do.

Next time, during sound check, have a dependable source walk around until they find the best sounding part of the room. Place two mics there and simply record the "live" sound rather than pulling it off the board. IME, this makes for a better sounding live recording. I have a couple done like this that actually sound pretty good. If this is how you did it this time, then maybe you just sounded bad!!!

Chas