1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it the social norm to talk to your employees like pieces of $#*!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Jul 31, 2012.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Forgive me guys but this is something that I need to get off my chest. This is rather long...

I'm 27, married with a beautiful wife and baby girl. Now the backstory.... Back when I was 18 I went to college to make the parents happy...became a tattoo artist in the meantime while switching over to bass in a few pop punk and metal bands during that time and found my love for bass.

Graduated college while working as a professional tattoo artist...put tattooing on the side and went and got a corporate job for a few years. Hated being talked to like a p.o.s. then quit. Went back into tattooing for a little over two years. In that time my little girl was born, first and only one right now...and I was working crazy hours so I took a desk job to be home more. It's at a very prestigious company yada yada that I thought was going to be my "dream job".

Turns out...after a few months now, I realize it's just like my old desk job. I'm their b- and they talk to me like a piece of shiznit as well as everyone else. I just know that I can't live an entire life like this "making great money" in the corporate world sucking d- like this.

Anyone else feel this way? Sorry for my use of word choices...I just feel like either you accept a s- life at a desk or your have to basically go out and be your own boss. AKA: Me opening up my own tattoo shop someday soon. Which can be very lucrative.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    In my experience of 20+ years of working a 'desk job', I've never been talked to that way. If I had, I would have left. Period. There's no call for that -- it's highly unprofessional, and companies who do it deserve to be out of business.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, ive been working a desk job for 7-1/2 years, and Ive never been talked to like a POS.
    If someone did, things would get unruly around here.

4. I've found those that have been around for a while, as they call it "old school", have a tendency to treat their employees like crap. I've seen it with some of the vendors that we use. I think it has to do with both a lack of management skills, and the perpetual management perspective of "I was treated like this, so this must be the right way of doing things, so I'll treat my people like this".

One of the presidents of one of our vendors was just belittling his people to no end in front of me. I told him that if I worked there, and he did it to me, I'd tell him to pound salt and I'd leave. He was shocked to hear that what he was doing was not normal.

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    The matticus would hit the fan.

6. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've found that even nice bosses will talk to you like that from time to time, and some do it constantly. You just have to grow thicker skin and show that it doesn't bother you, much like dealing with a school yard bully. Remember that your boss treats people that way because he is either miserable or unsure of himself. If I had any kind skill marketable enough to open my own business then I probably would.

7. There have been a few times, though never too badly talked down to, and certainly not in many years. Being pretty laid back and cheery, whicle also having a large physical presence, a reasonable education and the ability to argue to the hilt, really helped there.

Keep an eye on other jobs popping up? While the studio idea is a solid one (though it may not be as lucrative, depending on the area or unless you get pretty famous), the corporate one may be a more stable platform while your family is growing at this stage? But that is no excuse to have to put up with people acting like wankstains.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hell yeah! >MATTICUS SMASH!<

9. I know tattoo artists that make way more than I likely ever will in a corporate gig.

lowsound

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have only been treated poorly by one employer. I have worked about 100 jobs, some long-term, some were one-shot deals. If anyone talks down to me in life, I make a point of addressing it head on before it snowballs.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would not tolerate being spoken to in that way. Do you feel confident to stand up for yourself in this matter?

-Mike

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Been pretty fortunate in that regard.

What I am noticing a lot more of, though, is coarse language among workers in places like fast food restaurants. They are carrying on with some pretty inappropriate language and subject matter even when customers with kids are in line and can hear every word. I may not walk out of a place where that happens (though I would if it were bad enough)... but I only patronize places like that once.

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Oh yes. I notice that, too. I can cuss and swear with the very best at times, but I also know how to keep it in check when necessary. I think that some people just aren't bright enough to realise that there are times when talking like this could really cause them a problem.

On topic - I talk to people in a work situation the way I appreciate being spoken to myself, and I would expect as a matter of routine the same courtesy from them when talking to me. If not, we have an issue that needs some clarification.

14. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Come again? Say what? Do you talk to your mother like that? Do you give them any back talk so they get your drift? Maybe no one has called them on their behaviour before?:scowl:

15. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I work in a restaurant, not a fast food one, a pretty classy one, and even then, me and the rest of the staff have carried out some vulgar jokes and conversations. According to the chef, the pollen thingy (big words here look out)in squash flowers is known as the clitoris, and those bad boys need to be ripped out. Incase no one knows, stuffed squash flowers, deep fried, delicious

16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    But in the same respect, we keep our vulgarities in the kitchen.

17. When I enter the corporate world, I pity the fool who talks to me in a completely un-professional manner like the OP is describing. I'm a two-time combat veteran and will have a total of 8 years active duty when I leave, get crazy with me if you like :)

That being said, there's no chip on my shoulder and I will be just as respectful (first) to others as I would wish them to be towards myself. Office humor is one thing, disrespect is a different animal and I don't tolerate it.

Peace,
    Greg

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    As others have said, the talking down to employees thing isn't really the norm...at least in my experience. As stated, there were old school management styles that worked on the principle of treating your followers like dirt (i.e., Theory X management). In the late 80s and early 90s, transformational and servant leadership styles started taking hold in a lot of organizations and managers and leaders became more progressive. That's not to say there aren't sociopathic douchebags in management positions, because there are.

Also, the OP may just not dig a corporate desk gig. All of the tattooists that I know personally tattoo because that's what truly makes them happy. It's like playing music.

19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    In my workplace, there are union guys and there are management guys. The union guys are treated respectfully by management and the other union members (with rare exceptions).

Management guys are vicious to each other, especially down the pecking order (with rare exceptions).

20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    i worked with a guy that used to try to belittle myself and other coworkers all the time. one day i had enough. he had made me so mad that i had to cancel an appointment. i waited til the end of the day to confront him and in the meantime informed the manager that there would be an event at the end of the day that may cause one, either or both of us to get fired and i didnt care which way it went. at the end of the day i stepped in front of the guy as he went to leave. nose to nose and informed him that this was the last day he talked down to any of us and the next time he would be talking down with a mouthful of broken teeth. things got real tense, but he became convinced that i meant it so seriously i was more than willing to lose my job if i needed to demonstrate right then and there. he was nice from then on. :)

later, the manager thanked me.