Is it the speakers or the amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swassguy, Jul 11, 2005.

1. I've got another question - and I promise at some point I'll get off my butt and start helping out everyone else...

I've been playing with my old band recently and have been borrowing a friends SVT3 and ampeg 4x10 and 1x15 cabs to practice with. I'm getting my own cabinet redone (different thread) but I've gotten this new Mesa Buster head (still another thread). I played for about two practices with the SVT and everything worked fine. The next time we played I brought my new head and plugged it in. I made sure everything was kosher with the way i hooked it up. It sounded great. We played and played and as we did I started to hear what sounded like speaker buzz. I switched off the tweeter in the 4x10 and it sounded better - for a while. most of the time it was really clear and nice, but if you attacked the a certain way it sounded like the speaker was buzzing - like there was a tear or something.

I got really worried about it - he told me to abuse his setup but I really wouldn't want to. At the end of the practice I was freaking out and I replugged his amp back together and turned it on. It sounded fine. No buzzing or anything. Now it didn't sound as nice as my head did, but then there wasn't that torn speaker sound.

I know it wasn't too much power being pushed into the speakers, could it be too little? Could there be a tube problem?

What do you think? And if it's the head, what do you think could be the problem?

2. Weird, I had that problem with my Mesa Walkabout head I just got. I took the lid off and made sure the tubes were firmly seated and it hasn't done it since. Dont know if that anything to do with it though.
  3. could be a pre tube going slightly microphonic ?
  4. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Also, check the volume and tone control pots to make sure they're not dirty. That can sometimes make them intermittent and give a bit of breakup in the sound. It happened to me once and was easily fixed with a shot of contact cleaner.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my 1st thought was "of course it's the speaker", but then i saw that the problem didnt repeat when you "restarted" the amp.

A thing to check would be the instrument cable from your bass to the head, and the speaker cable from the head to the cabinet. (you ARE using speaker cable for that and not an instrument cable right?????????). Anyhow, what i'm talking about is shorts in the cables themselves. I've spent an hour or two troubleshooting what sounded like the death of my rig only to find it was a bad speaker cable which was partially cutting out due to the vibration of the speakers.
  6. The speaker cables I just disconnected from the Ampeg head and put into mine - they're fine. I actually had thought it might be my cables so I switched them around with others. And everything works fine when it's not hooked up to my amp.

I'm going to have my amp guy look it over - he'll come up with something.

Thanks everyone.

If anyone else knows anything I'm still taking suggestions!
  7. Slightly microphonic's happening right now with my Demeter (from Ivanmike)...some things that help - swap the tubes...see if the load on the slightly microphonic one can be lessened by putting it in the #2 spot. Use tube will help a bit if the tube is only slightly microphonic and responding to the cab's vibration. Better yet - find out which tube is going microphonic and replace it.
  8. Thanks - now that things have settled down I'll take it in to my amp guy - I redid my cabinet since this thread began and there are still some weird things coming out of it - but you can tell it's from the amp...