Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it time for a new bass teacher?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassPlayer101, Dec 16, 2001.

1. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    Well, I have been playing bass for one year. I have been taking lessons at the same place the entire year. But I have had three teachers. My first 2 teachers were guitar players!:eek: After about three months the place hired a real bass teacher. My new teacher then tells me that my first teachers were guitar players and bassists. Which means they lied right to my face. At first my the new teacher was a good one. Now he has been not showing up to my lessons and he has no set lesson plan. He is always says "what do you want to do"? or "i am not prepared so we can go over some songs." The teacher is cool but being cool does not make you a good teacher. So I am going to get a new teacher!

2. my teacher was the same way. but if you know what you want to learn it's cool.
    my teacher would give me a lesson plan if I wanted him to. why not bring up your concerns with your teacher before finding another?

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds like you've got a dud...it'd trash him.

Teaching is truly an art, and very few are REALLY qualified. But once you've found an artist, it's pure gold, so you won't want to let go!

4. after reading your post more carfully, I see that he has not shown up before, and he said "I'm not prepaired".
    yeah, dump him.
    my bass teacher was NOT like this guy. my teacher would ask me what I wanted to learn. I thought it was cool though, but I had about 9 years experience before going to him. so, I kinda knew what I needed to work on.