1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it time to ditch these Helicores?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dan W., Oct 3, 2009.

1. Dan W.

Dan W.

Apr 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Due to lack of funds I've kept the same set of Helicore Hybrid Mediums on my bass since I bought it. They've been on there about 5 years, with 2 years of really intensive playing.

Lately they've developed a really awful wolf tone between G-A. No amount of adjustment of the ferrule can get this to go away. The strings are bright and still speak fairly well, but this warble is driving me nuts.

My question: is this the strings going bad? I was set to wait until the strings sounded dead or fell apart before changing them, but they still sound as bright as ever and play much the same. Anyone else have any experience with this?

P.S. I play about 90% arco, 10% jazz pizz.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Ab up an octave on the A string is a common wolf tone trigger point. Is this what you're talking about?

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Yes.

4. Dan W.

Dan W.

Apr 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    ehochberg,

Yes, that's where it is. I've had problems with it off and on since I got the bass, but I've always been able to get rid of it with an eliminator. But lately it seems like no matter where I move it, I've still got the wolf.

Having read up on what causes wolf tones, I'm thinking that the change of seasons is causing it to worsen. But, none of my friends' basses or any of the school basses have nearly the problem with wolf notes. So I was wondering if the strings dying would make the existing problem worse.

So: change strings, or back to the shed for 3 days?