Is it too late? Changing names.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mo'Phat, Jul 29, 2004.

1. I'm in a band called Shaggin' Wagon. It's a stupid-ass name and I have this feeling that people A) don't wear our t-shirts because of it. B) don't tell their friends about us because they're embarrased C) don't want our CD's in their cases next to 'reputable' band names like Butthole Surfers and Limp Bizkit :eyebrow: D) think it's funny in a Dumb and Dumber sort of way, but they're all in their mid-20's and are outgrowing that phase.

The band has gone back and forth about it...none of us really like the name, but we feel there's been too much time and cash invested...over 6 years and about $1,000 in promo's.

The question is, is it too late to change it? We've got merch, cd's, website, mailing list, banner, stickers, etc...and fans spread worldwide (we're huge in Germany...sort of). How hard is it to change names and is this particular name keeping us from getting the gigs/fans that other bands are having an easier time getting?

Any advice welcome.
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I think Shag-Wagon sounds better than Shaggin' Wagon, but that's just me.

About the rest of your questions? I have no clue. :) I just think Shag-Wagon sounds better.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are you sure people are embarrased to like you? Because to me it doesn't make a difference...

Probably taken but:

4. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Finger Eleven was Rainbow Butt Monkey first, but only got big once they changed their name. Coincidence? I think not.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whenever it comes to names, I use "The Goo Goo Dolls" to remember the name doesn't mean squat compared to what/how you play.
  6. Good example...some others that make me think that names don't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things:

The Flaming Lips
    Squirrel Nut Zippers
    Jimmy Eat World
    My Morning Jacket
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Jesus Jones........
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    My brother got a free copy of their demo when they were the rainbow buttmonkeys coming out of a concert in Hamilton once.

I, personally would change it, mostly because the name is rather cliche and junky. Not silly, just junky.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My friend is friends with the guitarist from a band that was called "The Deadlights." They played Ozzfest, but they had some name before then and built a huge following, but nationally there was another band named their former name. So they changed it and a lot of their fanbased didn't know who they were.

But the band broke up anyhoo + Nu metal is dying. They were pretty good though.
  9. rickbass

FWIW - The Deadlights were one of the best bands I've heard in the last 8 years or so.
    Luckily, I got one of their cassettes before they disappeared.

"Sweet Oblivion" remains one of the best songs I've heard in the last decade...."Meet me in the bathroom and I'll show you everything....."

I had just received my first 5-string when I got that recording and it showed me the incredible power of a "butch" B string.

They are just one more example of why today's major labels can't sell ice cubes in the desert.......the big labels don't know talent when it hits them in the face because they want cookie-cutter bands. :rolleyes:

At least people can still hear a clip of "Sweet Oblivion" on if they look up "deadlights."
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    May I add Flaming Cheetah Wheelies to that list?
  11. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Of the four in my band, I was the only one who voted against our current name, Ithamar.

I guess the bass player still gets little respect. :spit: Not sure we'll ever change it, although if the time came to change it I would be all for it. If your fan-base is considerable, it might be tough to do but it can be for the best if you want promoters to take you seriously.

Good luck, whatever happens.
  12. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree that names don't matter. All that matters is the name is easy to remember and pronounce. You don't want the morning-after-the-gig conversation to go off like this: "saw a killer band last with an s I think...was 4 words...ahh damn!"
  13. Good point...I do have to say that the first time I told my grandmother the name, she laughed and thought it was catchy...and 6 hours later after not talking about the band, I asked her if she remembered the name. She did.
  14. rickbass

And I might add, if you don't mind, Schwinn, --- something that stands out on a poster or handbills.

Your font size on a promotional material means a lot. As much as I don't like `em, such names as "Creed" and "Nickelback" stick out on a poster/handbill and have more room for good artwork if you use a graphic designer.
    "Hootie and the Blowfish" or "The Dave Matthews band just don't get it, IMO. If they didn't have market cache', I doubt I would go to hear them based on their names.

Even though Kittie is now a mature band playing the Goth card, Kittie still has cool promo materials due to the artwork. The name and the promo materials look interesting, IMO.
  15. Yo MO..... whatever you guys decide to do it'll be cool, YOU GUYS ROCK!!! when i played with you guys at the party on the bay you guys killed me!!! what song was it... "sweat of my balls" or something? that was just fantastic! you got a fat tone comin outta that 'Ray too man...
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    yeah, the kittie logo (i don't know if it's changed though) is still cool :)

i wear the shirt sometimes even though now they kind of suck :p
  17. Yeah, that was "Lickin' My Balls, Merry Xmas" It's a sing-along. The ladies love "Kiss you where you pee" and "Mucha Panocha" as well.

Right now I'm the only one on the fence with the name. The rest of the guys have lived with it for years. I'm the newbie that has to get used to telling people 'I'm in Shaggin Wagon.'

Gus: I got your PM, I have to check ye' olde' schedule. I'm pretty sure my wife is going to a wedding so I'm babysitting...I'll let ya know. We're doing an all-nighter (just us) at Winstons in OB next Wednesday. If you could make that, that'd be swell.
  18. i'll definitely give it a shot... i know how those all-nite Winston's shows go... :D
  19. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    "KISS YOU WHERE YOU PEE"...Shaggin Wagon is fine for what you guys are doing. If you guys did love ballads yeah change it, but if your a fun rockin band you need a fun rockin name. You have had it for years keep it. Just get a big old station wagon, paint it all psychodelic to haul your gear around and write "Shaggin Wagon" on it......the ladies will be hot to trot to get into the "Shaggin Wagon". :bassist:
  20. Actually, it's an '88 Chevy Club Wagon van conversion. Tan on Brown on taupe, with burgundy velvet curtains, 4 captains chairs, and a cocktail table. We're about to install rope lights and a disco ball. It IS the Shaggin Wagon, but has been dubbed The Heavy Chevy...(or the fxxk truck)

ps. We have love ballads called Red Rose which, they tell me, is NOT a reference to a pahjina. :eek: