Is it too soon?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by erotomaniac, Aug 5, 2002.

1. ive been playin for about 6 it too soon to move up to like a 5 or 6 string?
  2. Bah.. no such thing as too soon! If you think you're up for it, then go for it. The worst that could happen is you suck, then practice and get better. :D
  3. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    it depends on whether going to a 5 or six is actually "moving up"......
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's not a matter of "Am I ready to move up" it's a matter of "Do I think I can utilize the extra strings in the music I'm playing"

Once you get past the physical aspect (mainly string spacing) of 5 and 6 string basses, it's all pretty much the same, you just have more note and position choices. Extended range basses aren't any "harder" to play than your standard 4 string.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Moving up?
    If you want to play a 5 or 6, why do you think there is an advantage in waiting. I say do it ASAP.
  7. The only issue (other than having $$$$ to buy a 5-string) is, are you physically capable of playing one comfortably. There's a reason most of my young (12 - 14 year-old) students start out on short scale, 4 string basses. Learning to play on anything larger can lead to much frustration.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If you want a 5 get a 5, it's totally up to you. No law saying you have to be a virtuoso on the 4 or even start on a 4 string before going on to a 5 or 6. So go appease your GAS and get one!
  9. i have been playing bass for about 6 months also and i recently got a 6 string Ibanez. I would say you should get it if you would rather have more strings, i find the high notes very useful for soloing. It does not matter how good you are as to whether or not you should spend money getting a new multi string, it is about how much you enjoy playing the instrument.

Now i have my six i would never turn back, except i find slapping a lot harder on the six (need more practice).
  10. Screw the 5 & 6, but a Conklin Groove Tools 7-stringer. Hehehe, those are so much fun. And then you can seek advice on playing from JT...
  11. I think people should start on 5 or 6 stringers and move down to four. Think about how many better bass player there would be; it would force figerboard familiarity.
  12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Jeff Berlin said one time in a clinic I attended in Caracas several years ago that he had heard way too many people playing five string basses who showed by their playing that they were hardly conversant with a four-string. He preached the sermon of having a thorough mastery of the four before moving up in string numbers.

As it could take the average bassist a lifetime to have a thorough mastery of a four string, I guess he meant don't play a five.

That was several years ago. I don't know what his position would be on the same subject now. Anyway, although that was what he advised, I went ahead and bought a five string anyway. (without having mastered the four either.) Indeed, it seems as if most pro bassists I see now do play fivers (or more.)

In retrospect, I do tend to feel, however, that it might be advantageous to have if not mastery of a four string, at least have an intermediate level of skill on a four string before moving up. That said, I bet a lot of bass newbies are starting on fivers these days.
  13. Boplicity

Erotomaniac, maybe the best advice would be this...can you list convincing reasons why you need and want a five or six string bass? In other words, what exact advanatages will accrue to you with one or two extra strings at this juncture of your bass playing experience?

The more specific and detailed your reasons are, the more justification you may have to acquire the new bass. If you can give detailed reasons beyond the fact that it looks cool and prestigious or makes you appear more accomplished as a bassist, then you may have ample justification to go for the five or six-string.

If for example, you feel you can play a better solo with six strings, do you know how to integrate the extra strings into a solo? Can you play a pretty good solo on four strings and with a higher and lower string, know what to do to embellish the solo even more? Further, do you have much opportunity in your band to play bass solos?

These are just some of the questions you might consider before going to the expense of another bass.
  14. im not even in a band right now. im flyin solo for the time being. im pretty much learning off of tabs. in the spring im thinkin about goin to college and majoring in music. theres a college right near me(scranton, pa) that has a really good music program(marywood university) and supposedly an excellent bass professor(i dunno if thats what a college music teacher is called). songs i have learned off tabs(and can play to just about perfection) are Aenima by tool, in the flesh? by pink floyd, bound for the floor by Local H, parallel universe by red hot chili peppers. if i do start a band it'll probably start out as a cover band and maybe turn into an original band. i would like to learn to play as good as John Myung of Dream Theater cuz hes like my idol and stuff.
  15. BEtter sooner than later i've been playing 4 string for a solid year and a half and when i played on a five string the other day it feel's a lot different and forget im playing a 5 string which cause's a lot of mistake's in other word's if you want to go to 5 string go noooooow.
  16. Boplicity

Erotomaniac, I'm going to say something here that you don't want to read, but please take it with the spirit it is offered and that is to help you in music school at the college level.

Before you buy a five stringer, before you do anything else, learn to read music. You will have to read music in college. You will not survive on tabz. The quicker you get a teacher to help you or buy a book to do it, the better off you will be. In fact, do yourself a huge favor and learn to read music before you start music school. Furthermore, I don't know the acceptance policy at that college, but many require that you do read music before you even enter. Some even require an audition.

You can't get by on tabz at the college level. Please give thought to what I am saying. It isn't just to start another battle in the endless tabz/sight reading war here.
    whoever recommnded that to me thankyou, that helps you to read music.
  18. Boplicity

Darn! The link didn't work. I am dying to see what you have decided to buy.
  19. Moving up?
    I've been playing bass(a 4 string) for years and never considered "moving up" to a 5 or 6 string.
    I dont consider it the next step it just depends on what your looking for and what you want to do with your bass.

If you beleive that you need the low b or can utilize it go for it, but i dont consider it the next step.