Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it true or is it media hipe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Samie, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Here in europe we hear that in the US you are not able to see images of allied POW.

Is this true?

Is it posible to get european and Arab TV(including alje*****) through cableTV in the US?

I would like first hand comments people that live in the US.

I am not trying to start a for-agaist thread, I just need the facts

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    [​IMG]

3. Couldn't you have got hold of a better-quality shot than that?:p

Anyway, up here, the BBC are saying "we probably shouldn't show you these picture, but here they are".

I'm not entirely sure what to make of that.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? But apparently not, I looked but that was the best I could find. If you find a better one let me know!

5. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    So you have seen them in the USA?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - but they did change their mind and show you brief edited parts.

It's ridiculous anyway as million of people like me, have Satellite TV and can get Euro News, CNN, Fox News as well as dozens of Asian channels like Muslim TV that broadcast news including this stuff as well as "Al Jazeera" - which is channel 819 on Sky Digital Satellite TV!!

7. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks Bruce, that is what I thought. I just needed confirmation. The thing is that the Papers here said that in the USA were as censored as the Iraquies because of TV edits.

I wish someone would replay to them.

8. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    They have shown the pics, but I think they were asked not to for a while until all the families have been notified properly. They don't want the families of the POW's to find out through the news.

9. What I heard is that showing POWs on camera is against the Geneva Convention.

10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Never heard that one before...For the other War we had w/ Iraq, after all families were notified, they were keeping us posted on the status of the POWS.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Something to do with humiliation of combatants captured. Parading them in front of cameras can be humiliating ,terrifying and downright unpleasant!

Whihc is why amongst other things it contravenes the Geneva Convention.

Which is why the coalition forces are going to great lengths to prevent the same happening from Iraqi POWs - several officers have already confiscated cameras from people getting too close!

12. cetecea

cetecea

Dec 18, 2001
    Hey, Bruce doesn't know. He lives in England. He's cocky. He's......well, ........Bruce.....

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well - Sky Satellite TV is owned by Rupert Murdoch who lives in the US - so surely he can look at his own satellite TV channels!!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Besides, how can somebody who lives in "Lord of the Gourd" criticise me!! ?? ;)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What they mainly do NOT show are the graphic images of dead POW's and their wounds that have been shown on Al Jazeera etc... They have shown pics and very limited footage of prisoners but only after families are notified as was stated above. Which I feel is a noble thing. There was a big picture on the front page of the Austin American Statesman today showing an American soldier carrying a wounded Iraqi that had just ambushed them over his shoulders in a fireman's carry to get medical help. So they are showing some pics of Iraqi POW's but not in the humiliating sense of them being interrogated and forced to answer questions like "You came here to kill Iraqi's didn't you!"

brad cook

Edit: Let me also clarify that the media are free to show any pictures they want...they just choose to show some restraint.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, the press here in the USA is not showing all the photos available.

I'll skip all the possible reasons why to avoid a rathole.

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

The question was answered but Im going to close this before it strays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.