Is It True Question for Slapping and Popping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by greekbassist, Feb 24, 2006.

1. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi All,

I have been some buzzing when I popping my string! Usually starts to happen on the 8 the fret on up!

I have been told by a good bass player friend that most guys who Slapp and pop have the action of there bass set up higher then normal.

Is this true? I would like to hear it from guys or girls on this forum who slap and pop what your action is set up like?

Thanks, Greekbassist
  2. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think the general consensus for slapping is the lowest action you can get. If the action is too high, then the string won't hit the fret when you slap or pop.
  3. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Yes, but if the action is set low won't one get buzzing, especially when popping strings up on higher frets?

The reason why I am asking this question is because when I pop on higher frets I tend to get a buzz noise?

Okay, I also have to come clean I am also slapping on a shorts scale custom made bass as well.

However, Stanley Jordan played short scale and seemed not to have a problem....
  4. Lower action makes it easy to get the ghost notes when you mute with the left hand (if you're right handed). Actually it's not muting it's really taping with the fingers on the string which clicks on the frets. It gives that percussive sound when no actual notes are played (usually written as 'x' on staves).
    The fact that it buzzes at 8th and higher might show some wrong curvature of your neck? (wild guess?)
  5. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006

Thanks for the info. I am going to have a local guy luthier take a look at my bass today.

But, I Need and HONEST answer. Can Slapping and Popping be done on a short scale Bass?

I own a Landing Bass which is a GREAT quality bass. If not I will switch back over to playing my Ibanez SG :(
  6. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I really don't see why not...Stu Hamm did, IIRC.
  7. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006

Your right it can be done...I just took my bass to a bassist who owns a music shop.

This guy LOVED my Landing Bass plugged it in and started to rip!!!!

He played like JACO, and did all the cool fingerstyle funk stuff, and he wasn't bad a slap and pop either...

He saw nothing wrong with my bass at all....But, seriously, I would really like to play fingerstyle funk as I think it is more sexier....

My God this guy ripped....I did'nt know he played that well....
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The main relavent difference that I can think of is the fact that short-scale would tend to have lower string tension.

I use a 33"-scale, which is semi-short (fender standard is 34", right?), and it seems to work fine for me.

The way I've sort-of looked at it is that the initial part of a pop - which, of course, is supposed to 'buzz' at least ONCE, or it souldn't BE a pop - seems to scrub-off so much energy, that the vibration that's left won't buzz anymore.

It seems that my string will tend to buzz if I don't pop firmly- or autoritively-enough.

Usually I go for very short pops, though, where I mute the string as soon as possible after the pop.

9. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Him Very interesting Joe,

So, maybe it is my techinque in a way.

Question: Are you supposed to mute right after popping?

I think I was just letting ring a little...Well, not ring, but I would put and not mute at all...
  10. Check your left hand too. If you aren't fretting the notes cleanly you'll get a buzzing sound. I sometimes run into this when I'm being lazy....just a thought. Also, action-wise, IMO lower is better....