Is it true that less frets=better slap sound?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dreadhead, Aug 12, 2002.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello! My luthier said that, in his not so humble opinion, a bass with a lot of frets (i.e. 28 or more) would have a worse slap sound than a bass with 20 frets or so. Is it true? I guess it's NOT true... the Thumb bass is IMHO one of the best slap basses and it have 26 frets... please let me know what you think.
  2. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Could be a matter of personal taste.
    My favourite slap sound is from a fretless:D
  3. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It depends on the bass, the eq, and the player. If you take a fender, with 20 frets, and slap it at the end of the fingerboard, you get a certain sound. Now, imagine where you'd slap it if you had 24 or 26 frets, and slap it there. You'll now get a different sound. Not worse, not better, just different. Other basses might sound "better" slapped nearer the bridge, others might suffer.. It's a matter of wood, construction, pickups, pickup placement, technique, eq, the room you're playing in, etc. But yes, where you pluck/slap the string makes a difference in sound!
  4. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    I like your fingerstyle tone... congrats! :)
  5. Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    The number of frets is irrelivant. It effects the sound because the string smacks the top of the high frets, but the distance where the string hits the last frets relative to the note changes at each fret. This means that "relativly" speaking, slapping say, the 5th fret on a 20 fret fender would be the same proportions of the 8th fret of a 26 fret warwick. (numbers are only for illustration purposes, I was speaking hypothetically)