1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is It True The Ampeg SVT410HLF Sounds Better Than The SVT610HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 16, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I've seen several comments online of people saying the Ampeg SVT410HLF sounds much better than the SVT610HLF. Does anyone have first hand experience with BOTH of these cabs?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I personally think the 4x10 sounds better than the 6x10 both in rehearsal and on a gig, but YMMV.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    IME, the 610 design was a 210 cabinet (8 ohm) put on top of an 8 ohm 410 HLF. The power difference going to the top 210's really did to for me, they would give out before the bottom ones did. (this may have been fixed) The lows were not as deep or powerful for some reason. Yeah.. I concur. The 410HLF has more going for it sound wise.. perhaps not volume wise at ear level.

4. I personally thought that the 410 sounded better (lower lows), but was harder to hear in general (lower speaker height, lower wattage). May have been a bad run, but I ended up blowing the bottom right speaker on two separate cabs. Swapped out for the 610 and it was immediately easier to hear because of the height of the two extra speakers, and I got more compliments on my tone, but I did miss the lows.

The handlebar / kickplate / slide rails made 610 was easier to move too, ironically enough.

5. rewopnayr

rewopnayr

Apr 26, 2007
    marion
    i agree with BrianVengeance. i have both the 410 and 610 but i use the 610 and leave the 410 at home just to move the furniture around in my neighbors apartment :bag:

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I prefer the 610, just a better all around, stand alone cab.
    The 610 with a V4BH cranked was a sweet tone.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Define: Better.

8. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I've had both and sold the 410HLF for the 610HLF.

I like the 610 better:
    1). not as boomy but still has nice lows
    2). much easier to move around

9. I have the 6X10 and, compared to the 4X10, it is worlds easier to move around than the 4X10. I can't tell that much of a difference in overall "sound" per se, but the 4X10 is a bugger to get in and out of the truck whereas the 6X10 more resembles an 8X10 in terms of "ease of movement" ;)

But, like others here.....YMMV!! :smug:

10. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    When I played the "6" version, I compared it to the "8" cab and ike it better. It was clearer and had more puch on the bottom end. The "410HLF was better than the square 4x10 slightly cheaper model though.

In all, I would only conside the "6' for my tastes if restricted to Ampeg but I liked Hartke much better and it would blow Ampeg off the stage side by side.