1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is it true?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dodgy, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodgy

Dodgy

Jun 12, 2007
    Aiken, SC
  2. Do a search. Underpowering a cab will generally not be a problem, but keep in mind that heads can spike in wattage when they clip, and if the spike is bigger than the cab's rated wattage then you could have some problems. But the issue in this case is not that you are underpowering the cab, but rather that the head is clipping. But IMO, I just don't trust Berhinger's musical instrument amps (bad experience with em) and while you can indeed use that combination I would not highly recommend the cab. Others have different experience with Berhinger though...

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    No, it's not true, for that gear, or any other.

That's the short answer. For the long answer, use the search function in this forum, and prepare to read for a few hours. There's a reason this rumor got started and persists, but it's a silly one, and doesn't come up in real gigging life.

Edit: the previous post provides a good synopsis. This isn't something you should lose sleep over. No amount of clipping is going to make a 500 watt amp blow a 1000 watt cab. I'd be more worried about the Behringer spontaneously combusting than I would about the Ashdown blowing it up.

4. Dodgy

Dodgy

Jun 12, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    thanks. i read the stickys and didnt see anything on it and it seemed like something too stupid to be posted before this because i have never heard of something like this before.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    :eyebrow:

Not to be a jerk about it but... did you try using the search feature here at Talkbass? I just closed a thread yesterday on the exact same topic.

Here, go to that thread and read the links that I posted there for that member. Can I underpower my Cabinet?

This thread is now closed.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.