1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it truth that...??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bilboom, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Bilboom

Bilboom

Apr 22, 2011
    s it truth that taking your bass inside the bathroom after you had taken a bath can help the wood of the bass?

2. ok I'll bite.... help it how? Are you refering to the steam/moisture in the air being good somehow?

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just as long as you aren't still naked.

4. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    It depends, are you still wet?
    Was it a cold shower?

Ok now, seriously, I can't see how temperature change and high humidity can "help" the bass in any way but...there might be something I'm missing.

Also, I think you will get rust on your strings.

5. rugrat

rugrat Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Not sure about that. I do know that if you wipe dog pooh on your bass , it makes it more "growly".

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    It takes out the wrinkles.

7. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    don't feed the troll....

8. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I don't know about after a bath, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You definitely don't want to take your bass in there after dropping a deuce.:)

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    no

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Just being cleaner will help your tone.

11. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Only if you leave the water in the bathtub...

116347996_a73a980808.

Not quite sure about the wood though, maybe it´s just a very happy bass!!

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Bass truths:

A bass is a fish.

A bass is not a fish...unless it's a Rumblefish...but then it should watch out for a Rumblekat lest it be eaten.

13. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Your bass should be kept between 45% - 55% relative humidity when not in use. In order to measure a room's RH, buy a hygrometer for under $10 at True Value, Radio Shack or wherever. During the winter months, at least in the northeast, as it gets colder RH can drop much lower than this. If this is the case, it's not a bad idea when you shower to leave the bathroom door open and to leave the exhaust fan off. This will add some much needed moisture to the house.

14. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I think that this is the only bass that would benefit from being in the bathroom:
    :)
    turdbass1.

15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now thats a Pee-Bass!!

16. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    I would think it would depend on whether your bass neck is sensitive to moisture changes. Some basses just seem to respond more than others to climate. I have noticed in the few years I've been away from Vancouver( west coast/moist/humid ), to The Rockies in Alberta (dry/ less humidity ), my Nitro finished Fender P bass has actually dried out a bit, and honestly sounds more resonant, woody and punchy as time goes on! I rarely have to do any neck/truss rod adjustments, and maybe it has to do with the porosity of the Nitro finish, or maybe this just happens regardless over time, but there has been a noticeable difference. So in my case, I avoid excessive moisture in my place.

17. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I read in a house constructors mag that what you're describing is the number one reason for inside the house fungus (not sure what you call it in english), especially in the bedrooms adjacent to the bathroom. ymmv.

18. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I certainly wouldn't do this if the RH is near the 45-55% mark because too much moisture for a consistent amount of time will indeed cause fungus. I only do it when the RH drops pretty low.

19. Fungus is correct or mold is another often used term.