1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it wacked to use a subwoofer instead of a cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnorLars, Jan 18, 2012.

1. SnorLars

SnorLars

Nov 22, 2006
    Stockholm
    Just investigation options here.

What's your take on this setup except the crappy sound and the feeling of being neutered?

In-Ear monitors, a multieffect pedal with amp sim and a subwoofer to get some vibrations and presence.

I was thinking a Kustom PA112S with a Boss ME-50B and some sennheiser IEM.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yup, is whacked.

Some guys use a shaker to put a little feeling in the feet to compliment in-ears.

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
  4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name. Some have a pad to stand for live use. Some guys put them in the chairs at theater's etc. for that whole "feel it in your bones", "as if you were there" experience.

OP they don't really make sound but vibrate at frequency so you feel it in your feet. If you live in an apartment, you'll be hearing from the people downstairs. Their ceiling will become a giant resonator.:p

5. I use the ButtKicker at church consistently. The in-ears by themselves are passable, but there is a dimension that is added while using it. It adds power.

As a long time fretless player, I find that I "feel" some notes on my bass. Some of that is restored.

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Do you plug it to your cab or to the kick drum? I was thinking that it may be good idea to plug it to the kickdrum

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You know, I'd never thought of that but it might be a really good solution on big stages, noisy stages, poor monitoring situations, any place it's hard to hear the kick to stay together.....good one.

8. It'd be nice if you could get a mix of both. Don't know if your setup would allow it, but I bet it would be nice.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Is it wacked to use a subwoofer instead of a cabinet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep then you get no mids and no highs ... Subs cutoff at 80 to 100hz ... if you are lucky maybe 150 to 200hz.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Usually have to deal with a kick tap from monitors that don't handle bass. That could add in the bottom half...or feel it together with the higher pitched tap you hear.

11. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I use both. 2 10s and then go into the pa with powered mains and a powered sub. The cab is behind the drummer. Works out great.

12. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Since our drummer switched to an electronic kit, I wasn't able to hear or feel the kick properly anymore.

This is what I did:

Built a pad to stand on with four shakers (similar to the TecAmp one, but A LOT cheaper), connected to a power amp. The power amp gets the same monitor mix as the drummer (lots of drums and bass in it).

It's great! I feel like I'm in a big stadium, even at low volume gigs.

A subwoofer on stage would only mess with the PA sound.

13. SnorLars

SnorLars

Nov 22, 2006
    Stockholm
    Tnx Ric. I was hoping to get some mids and highs through the inear.

I've tried the buttkicker for one gig. Sure it vibrates but I don't play that kind of music where you stand at one spot wiggeling your head with a constant smile. ;-)

So any more comments on the OP?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Buttkickers are to subs what massage chairs are to a Swedish massage with happy ending.

I have heard of dudes using subs to get that feeling back when using in ears. I think Justin Meldal-Johnsen was using one with NIN for that reason on a tour where they weren't using backline. But nowadays, so many bands run their PA subs so hot that you really don't need it in a small joint. I'd be a little concerned about a separate sub interfering with the PA and making your sound all sub and no top, but I have heard of it done successfully, so if you can borrow a sub first, maybe give it a shot.

15. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    This is a slightly different issue, but what about a sub with a guitar cab on top in a biamped system? Could that possibly work? Already using a biamped rig that is a guitar cab on top of a 115 bass cab that sounds great.

Not trying to hijack! Just trying not to start such a similar new thread. OP, I have never tried what you propose, but if it is only for your benefit, why not try it? :cool:

--Bomb :bassist:

16. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Or, you could just get 2 4x10's, and that'll take care of anything.

Why does everyone have to over think **** so much?

17. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    S'fun! :hyper:

--Bomb :bassist:

18. Ah...

I have a dedicated mix feeding the BK. Bass, kick, floor tom.

19. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I once plugged my NeoPak through a sub, just for kicks, with no other cab. It sucked.

20. Hi.

Creates more problems than it solves.

Get powerful enough butt-kicker and You'll get all the shakes you'd want.

Why would the band use both in-ears and back-line?
    Perhaps throw in some wedges there just in case as well?
    Perhaps some side-fills for a good measure while You're at it?

Regards
    Sam