1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it weird that i have to replace the strings on a brand new bass after 6 weeks?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    i got a brand new fender 63 avri and i really like the strings on it. In fact, i bought the same fender medium gauge strings to replace the old ones. However, after only six weeks, the are starting to feel thick and slowing me down the way strings start to feel when i need to replace them. I play fast metal and need fresh strings to be able to play my parts but usually they last about three months. Is there some reason why these might be getting dull after six weeks?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Some strings lose their brightness faster than others.

Someone tell our friend here which strings are best for metal....

RickyT, wmhill, catcauphonic and 5 others like this.
  3. As far as I know, the Fender factory strings are the nickel-plated steel variety, which is supposed to mellow down faster than the stainless steel. If the fresh zing is what you're after, it's quite normal for them to sound "dull" (to your ears) after six weeks.

4. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks I have never used Fender strings before. It's more about them beginning to feel sluggish.

5. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Just to clarify, I haven't switched out the strings yet, I am just wondering why the strings that came with the bass died so quickly. Not sure if it they were on the bass a long time or what.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Six weeks is a pretty good life in my books but I like bright strings.

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It depends on your body chemistry. Mine is quite acidic, to the point where it has actually eaten holes in a stainless steel watch band (no lie). Obviously, stainless steel strings don't stand a chance under my fingers, so I only use nickel-plated strings. Perhaps you are the opposite, where your fingers kill nickel-plated strings quickly. Get some stainless steel strings on there and find out.

shodan, inanimate_carb and quickfix like this.
  8. Sluggish? You may have to explain that one to me.

el_Bajo_Verde and lz4005 like this.
  9. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    More difficult to play fast parts on. Unless you play fast metal or punk you most likely won't run into this issue.

quickfix likes this.
  10. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    A lot of guys who want that bright sound go with steels not nickles. You may want a lighter gauge strings, like 100 E vs 105. 6 weeks is pretty good life on strings unless you play flats. You could look at coated strings like Elixirs or DR Dragon skins for longer life.

fretlessguy and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You may have had the bass six weeks, but you don't know when the bass was built.

nolezmaj, shodan and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  12. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Maybe you've been playing more often because you're in love with your new, kickass bass; therefore, the strings have worn faster AND your hand is more fatigued?

jjmuckluckjr and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  13. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    That is probably it actually! I didn't think of that but yeah I have been playing it a lot more than usual... lol

quickfix and Bodeanly like this.
  14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Werd. When I miss out on practice for a day or two, I feel like a bass god when I finally pick it up again.

15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yeah, probably a combination of the stock strings' indeterminate age, and you playing them to death. If you're talking about the replacement strings only lasting six weeks? Then it's probably a case of "that's how long they'll last if you play them that much". I'd say you should go back to the strings that you're used to using - or start a String Quest...;)

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When I get on a jag where I want newer sounding strings, I change them every 2-3 gigs. Fortunately, lately I've been into the sound of dead strings :D

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  17. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah i changed them out.. got a rehearsal tomorrow. Much better :thumbsup:

18. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    I'm still not getting the sluggish part. Like sticky? You can't move up and down the neck as easily? Cleaning strings with rubbing alcohol can help, or boiling them to get all the gunk out was my good old broke college student method of getting a new string sound for a couple days at least.

If they've lost their stretch and are harder to fret, that's a different story. I've never liked Fender strings, or GHS or Daddario for that matter. Maybe try Ernie Ball slinkys, they are, well, slinky. Or DR hi beams- they are somewhat loose feeling, and are stainless so they last a long time. Fair warning, DR's are unique sounding, I almost always use low riders myself but they are a midrangey string, I like the focused sound but if you like a bouncy low end, something nickel plated is probably a better choice.

19. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    If you're having problems with the life of your new strings, compared to the strings you're used to, then put on the strings you're used to. Sometimes when I get a new (to me) bass, that's one of the first things I do.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  20. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    6 weeks is pretty good in my book too. I replace mine about every 2 months.

I would put whatever strings you used to use on the bass and see if they die about the same. Might just be your body chemistry.