Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it Wenge or Ovangkol?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ari, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    There is this Warwick on ebay advertised as a Thumb B.O. with a wenge neck. To me it doesn't look like wenge - I would say it's ovangkol. If it were wenge the color would be the same as the fingerboard wouldn't it?

In fact the color is very light, BUT when looking closely at the picture the grain looks like wenge - this is confusing! What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3735724475&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The neck is ovankol.

The fretboard is wenge, though, which is where the seller probably got the "Wenge neck" bit from.

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I emailed the seller but he's saying his description is accurate, the neck being wenge... :confused:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He's full of crap.

If that's wenge, that's the lightest wenge ever on record. It's got a 98 serial number, so he might think it's wenge, because 98 was the last year the used wenge; it's also the year they switched, so some 98's have ovankol necks.

It's ovankol. I'd put monies on it.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The side by side:

Wenge:
    [​IMG]

Ovankol:
    [​IMG]

Textbook.

6. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    It could be wenge sapwood. I looked at a wenge board at my local Windsor Plywood store recently that was lighter than that picture on one side and the regular dark color on the other side.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Crap. This always happens.

*Oooh, look at me, I'm Brendan, I'm sure of something. I'm positive.*
    *Only fools are positive.*
    *Are you sure?*
    *I'm positive.*
    *...Crap, that's still me talking. Dammit.*

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ovangkol with a Wenge fretboard. I own a 96 Warwick and have played many others of various years, and it is definitely not a full wenge neck.

Plus, with a company striving for uniformity between their necks, (all bolt-on Warwicks of a certain year share the same neck, not including those with different amounts of strings of course)they wouldn't use a piece of Wenge sapwood and have certain necks look completely different than the majority.

9. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Never heard of "wenge sapwood" before!

10. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Its ovangkol. I have a 2000 T5BO, with a three-piece ovangkol neck and a wenge fretboard. I also had a MPG L6 with a full wenge neck, and I can definitely say that the neck on that bass is ovangkol, not wenge...

11. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Looks like Wenge grain to me, the board down the middle is just a little on the light side.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When I saw the front photo, I thought "wenge board, ovangkol neck!" But when I saw the rear of the neck I was taken aback, because the grain pattern does look like wenge, even though the color does not.

In short: BTFOM. ;)

13. well, I have a '99 Streamer LX and the neck looks just like that, only a little darker...and I am pretty sure it is wenge.

Ovangkol has more of a green/grey tint to it.

Poses the question: when did Warwick start substituting ovangkol for wenge? I thought it wasn't until 2000. Could be wrong.

14. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

I know that the newer ones, I believe 2000+ are ovangkol and the older ones are supposed to be wenge, but... the grain is all wrong for wenge. If you look at the fretboard, that's wenge, its a completely different grain from the back of the neck. If that's wenge, its a wenge that I've never seen...

15. Like I say, my '99 looks just like that and the grain on the outside portions matches the fingerboard.

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    wenge fretboard, ovankol neck. No doubt!

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The jury seems split.

The outside pieces are most definitely wenge. The middle I'm not as sure of, however the grain does not look like any ovangkol I've seen.

The body is ovangkol, right?

18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I could have sworn that there are some 2000 Dolphins out there with Wenge necks still, in fact, I'm nearly positive of that.

At any rate, I think that the grain of the wood by the headstock appears to be Wenge, but I'm in agreement with everyone else that the wood is too light in color to be Wenge.

19. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo

I'm curious about something. Would you mind posting a pic of the front of that bass?

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX