Is it worth adding a second cab in this situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Dec 10, 2002.

1. I said that I scored a Yorkville a couple weeks ago. That is good!

I've been daydreaming at work again and I'm curious about adding a set of 2x10 cabinets (assume 4 ohms) to compliment the 1x15 (4 ohms).

It says that the output is 150W @ 4 ohms and 184W @ 2 ohms.

Is it worth adding the second cabinet to enhance either the volume or tone? Will the extra 34W be enough to drive the additional cab?
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The 184W would be evenly (on paper) distributed among the 2 cabs, so you'd get 92 W per cab.

However, if that amp really did work well with a 2 ohm load, their 2 ohm rating would likely be something more like 250-300W. The main concern is whether your amp can even handle a 2 ohm load without problems or not.
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Even if it can supposedly handle 2?, you'd might be better to add an 8? cab, so you'd be at 2 and some change. That's what I'm doing. Adding a second speaker almost always gives you a significantly bigger sound, and IMO it would be a good move. The 2? worries me...

[edit] darn - my ohm symbol characters got converted to ? marks. Must be because I'm on a Mac. Wonder if ¢ works - that one always impresses folks ;)
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Keep in mind though that if you have a mono amp going into a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab, you're going to have quite a bit more power going into the 4 ohm cab than to the 8 ohm cab.
  5. If Yorkville gives a 2 ohm rating than why would anybody assume that it wouldn't work at 2 ohms???:confused: I'd get a 2x10+horn cab at 4 ohms. This will give you a louder, punchier, hi-fi sound. The Avatar B2x10 would probably be a good cost effective way to go.
  6. So let me get this straight - adding a 2x10 would make my tone more articulate. But the power would be distributed equally so the sound from my 1x15 would be quieter.

And overall, would I be louder? I'm not gunning for more volume but I am curious. There's always a few 2x10's for sale in my local buy/sell.
  7. Since you'll have more cone area pushing air it will be louder even with your amp not putting out much more power.Adding speakers is way more effective at adding volume than adding power.The tens will give you a little more punch and you should be able to hear yourself better on stage too.Yorkvilles 2-10 cab is supposed to be pretty good too,but I dont know if it's a 4 ohm or not.
  8. How many speakers can I add before it becomes ineffective?

Let's say I added a 4x10 and it was underpowered. How will it sound?

It would be nice if I could add a cabinet and be able to turn the master volume down on my amp (thereby prolonging it's lifespan).
  9. Adding a 410 would be a little louder than adding a 210 but I think you are getting to the point with the 410 of not enough power to really drive the speakers.Using more speakers will help the volume but there is only so much a couple hundred watts can do.How efficient the cabs are also has a bearing on what you get for your watts.SWR and Eden cabs are very efficient,so you would get more volume with them than with a Yorkville or Avatar at the same setting on your master volume.Adding a 210 would be the most sensible thing to do for the power you have.A 210-115 gets pretty loud and has pretty good lows and highs.Anything more and you should be thinking of a separate head-cabinet rig anyway.