is it worth building your own cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by macduff, Nov 2, 2000.

1. macduff

Oct 25, 2000
    Whats it worth if you make your own cab? Is the quality as good as the brand names? Feedback from anyone who knows anything about making their own speaker cabinets would be greatly appreciated
  2. If you are a good carpenter, good at math and know somthing about cabinet design you might make a good cabinet. If you have to buy any tools it is better to buy a cabinet. I have built several cabinets and would only build another if I wanted something that is not available in stores.
  3. I tried. I couldn't do it. Joris, a guru of this sort of thing on this board, does it well. I guess it depends on how good a carpenter you are.

I still build simple guitar cabs, but I buy my bass cabs.

4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I really enjoyed building my cab, though it was pretty time-consuming for me. Probably the hardest part was finding the speakers that I wanted: it was so hard to find complete specs for most of the speakers that I was looking at. Overall, I'm very pleased however. Just remember that the quality of each and every component in your cab (as well as how well you followed your formulas) will affect the sound: if you skimp then it probably won't turn out all that well.
  5. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I think the only way it would work 100% satifacfactory & save $ would be to: Find someone who had a cabinet you wanted, buy the EXACT same speaker & build you own enclosure the exact same way (shape, vol, even material (mdf/plywood/whatever). Unless you did this the average Joe could spend thousand of dollars and years experimenting. There are dozzens of companies that have already done that for you.
  6. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I made a 1x12 cab without doing any calculations. It works and it was cheap, but not more.
    Frequency response is far from even, but I can solve that problem with the 2-band semi-parametric EQ of my amp.
    There is one reason why I did this: I could not find any 1x12 cab rated at 200W then (I wanted a powerful but light-weight little cab). Today I would probably get the SWR 112 monitor.
    If you're looking for a more common design (115, 210, 410) I would recommend buying used gear rather than making it yourself unless you are not experienced with this.

Just my 2cents