1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it worth buying a bass just for the neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbass76, Mar 13, 2008.

1. gibsonbass76

gibsonbass76

Aug 17, 2007
    I was at my local pawn shop looking for a new toy, when I saw a crappy looking p-bass, but it has a vintage looking jazz neck on it. On the neck plate is the fender "F" script, and a six digit number starting with a six. On the front of the neck is fender, and four sets of numbers underneath that. Is it worth it for $200???

2. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Do you like the way the neck feels? If so, then yes, IMO it's worth $200. A finished neck from Warmoth, etc would cost you around the same. FWIW, I bought my Harris P because I loved the neck, and the only thing Fender left at this point is the paint and frets :eek:

3. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i'm asking myself the same thing i have an aria pro that i wanna put a longer neck on but i'm undecided atm

subscribed

4. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    wheres it at ill buy it!

5. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I've been wondering the same thing about a body. I've got a neck and all the hardware, and the pickups and wiring from my old aria pro zzb deluxe, it got taken apart for a refinish, and I wound up moving, never found the body again. so I've been wondering if I should buy a warmoth body, or try to find a bass with a crappy neck or missing parts.
    sorry , didnt mean to hijack.
    If you really like that particular neck, buy it, if you don't like the rest of it, put the neck on something you like, and then sell whats left over

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    We can't answer what something is worth to you, because value is subjective. However, a good neck can be worth $200 in the open market, though - look at Warmoth licensed-Fender replacements, Carvin, etc.

7. gibsonbass76

gibsonbass76

Aug 17, 2007
    I guess I'm thinking if i buy it and don't like it I can easily sell it on eBay for more than I paid at the pawn shop, for just the neck.

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Not in my opinion. If you like everything else about the bass, then 'hell yeah'!

But if it's just the neck you are in love with...I'd pass..

Kim

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    it sounds like a 70s fender but there are so many fakes out there nowadays who knows. But the fake ones are worth $200 anyways so it wouldn't matter in this case.

10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    There are many miscegenate bolt-on basses out there, with better necks than bodies, and vice versa. If you find a neck that suits you and the price is right - as, in this case, $200 would seem to be - you should go for it. A good neck is rarer than a good body.

EDIT: Firefox doesn't flag 'miscegenation', but I was looking for the corresponding adjective, and it's in the red. So I just created it. Historical moment. Sorry about that.

11. I second the "where is it"?
    Josh

12. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Get it now

13. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I'd say buy it. If it's a fake it will be worth slightly more than $200 unless it is total crap. If it really is a fender than it could be worth a few thousand.