1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it worth buying a gig-worthy bass combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheIndieKid, Nov 23, 2017.

1. I have been playing 2 and a half years and just got into my first band. I take public transport to rehearsal, but there is a gig coming up in the new year, and I’m wondering if I should buy a gigging bass amp. I have a PJB Double Four, which of course, will have no competence in a band. I have my eyes on an EBS Magni 500 1x15, but I’ve wanted to get a new bass for a while, and I’ve been thinking I always have the venue backline or PA to fall back on at gigs, so what do you guys think?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No venue around here actually has a PA so having a gig worthy rig is an absolute necessity for me.

A 1X15 combo sounds like it would be a little big to carry around.

Ductapeman and Plectrum72 like this.
  3. Of course, however I’m in a alt-rock band with two guitarists, so I need something on the larger side. Does every place have backline?

wideload likes this.
  4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    It is always handy to have a gig worthy rig, you never know when you will need it (if you plan on gigging of course).

If you are travelling on public transport, then I would aim for something light. If you are set on a combo, something that weighs similar to the Rumble 500C would be my choice (actually, my choice IS the Rumble 500C) but it may be better, in thic case, to get a micro amp and a lightweight cab to make it easier still.

5. Everyone should have a gigable combo. Unless you never play out.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Does every place have a decent backline? That is the first thing you need to find out. In the states, generally no. But I don't know how it is where you are. Having enough amp/PA for you to be heard is more important than a new bass.

7. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Public transport? Try Uber then go bigger. REALLY.

8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    The technology of today has made way for many lightweight and gig-worthy amps. My advice would be to pick up a (used) Fender Rumble 500, a GK MB210, or an Ampeg BA-210. All three have more than enough power for medium sized rooms with no PA support. All three would be totally manageable on public transit.

9. Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’ve been looking at EBS, EICH and PJB gear, but I’ll have a look at a Fender Rumble. Tonewise, what would you say is the best sounding (subjective, I know) combo from the brands I just mentioned, in order to compliment a shorts scale with flats?

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd rather a micro head and cab than a large combo.

I don't play anywhere regularly that has a backline or PA. We have to supply everything.

noahw1, tfer and Dieboy like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    OK. Have you checked this venue out yet? Do they have a backline & PA? If so what is there and what does it sound like? Also is every pub/club/venue going to have a backline & PA? If the answer is no, then you need a gig-rig.

12. It’s at the place above the rehearsal studio we go to, so due to the affiliation, I’m guessing they have one or the other or both. And I don’t know if every place we go to will have PA or backline, but by the sound of what you guys are saying, I doubt it. How does the PJB Super Flightcase fair in a gig with a drummer and guitar?

13. A trolley (hand truck) plus straps makes Public Transport a whole lot easier IME.

14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That, I can't say as I've never played through any PJB gear.

JGbassman likes this.
  15. buddha Longbone

buddha Longbone

Jul 6, 2009
    Another vote for Fender Rumble.

sbpark and Linnin like this.
  16. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @TheIndieKid given that you're in the UK there must be some good stores around you. Also popular over there but frowned on nowadays on TB is the Markbass series. They are very loud and punchy for their size. The Markbass CMD 112 combo is very loud for a small combo and you can add another cabinet to it. You can do the same with the Fender Rumble but not Gallien Krueger. I don't know much about the brands you asked about except that EBS ranked pretty low on bang for the buck performance. Also, did you check Thomann's? I once went through checkout and they offered to send me a bass for excellent shipping cost to Alaska!

Second, for gigging, amp before bass. Unless the bass is really lousy. If you live near a music store, go and pick the brains of an older sales musician or the owner. Make sure you tell them you don't have the money yet or they might try to sell you something out the door! :laugh:

Let us know how it turns out! :thumbsup:

17. 46and2

46and2

Nov 12, 2017
    What is the rub with Markbass?

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm going to use my fender rumble 25 next show and place it behind a cardboard cutout of my big mesa/orange rig

pbass74, desertrider71 and pudgychef like this.
  19. A GK combo would be my choice. The MB212 weighs about 40lb. The MB210 and MB115 with around 35lb. All three are excellent with a DI output right on top plus output for either extension cab or powered extension cabs. As for dragging an amp around, try a two wheeled luggage cart. It might be called a luggage lorry in your country. They can be had for under $20USD. Mine folds up and can be stored anywhere. It will easily carry my amp and will also carry an upright double bass. With your bass and cords in a gig bag you should be able to get around on public transit. Good luck. :thumbsup:

desertrider71 and The Rage like this.
  20. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Get one. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. As for which one, it depends what your tonal requirements are. There’s plenty of good stuff out there. The Magni 500 is very good, but it’s fairly expensive, it’s not particularily light, and it’s only 250 watts. You’d do better to get a Rumble 500, which is considerably cheaper, considerably lighter, and 350 watts (500 watts with an extension cab). IF you like the tone, of course.

FlatwoundFunk and Linnin like this.