Is it worth buying a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seth, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Seth

Aug 24, 2004
    Hello everyone, first off I want to say that I hope I dont sound like a dufus with this thread, Ive read the majority of the stickies and dont believe Im breaking any laws by posting this in this forum...

Now for my dilemma: Ive had my bass for about 2 years now. About once a year me and my brother and parents will go down to this nice music store and look around. (We have a local one but its not so good :meh: ). And my bass is the cheapest you can get. It was about $100 - $150 and its a Carlo Robelli, A Sam Ash bass basically. So I love my bass but its really had a lot of trouble and I dont want to keep messin with such a low quality bass.

So this Wednesday were all goin down to this shop again and I could afford to buy a new bass for about 2 to 3 hundred dollars. And Im wondering if a bass around this price range would be a good investment or would I end up with trouble soon after buying? :help: Keep in mind that Im only 16 and am paying out all the money I make at my job for my car payment and insurance bill. So money doesnt come and go with me.

If anyone would take a stab at this for me i would appreciate it.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ibaniz makes some pretty good instruments in that price range...
  3. I think that in this case your best bet is going to be buying a cheaper but quality built bass. I'm not sure how current you are about basses but OLP (officially Licenced product) makes some cheap replica basses of stuff like music man stingrays. a bass like that is generally pretty well built and you could pick it up for very cheap and then upgrade some hardware on it. like new pickups and mabey a new bridge.

all the basses that rondo sells are pretty nice too, and you could do the same thing as I mentioned with the OLP.

buying over the net might be your best option in this case.