1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it worth buying a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seth, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Seth

Seth

Aug 24, 2004
    Hello everyone, first off I want to say that I hope I dont sound like a dufus with this thread, Ive read the majority of the stickies and dont believe Im breaking any laws by posting this in this forum...

Now for my dilemma: Ive had my bass for about 2 years now. About once a year me and my brother and parents will go down to this nice music store and look around. (We have a local one but its not so good :meh: ). And my bass is the cheapest you can get. It was about $100 - $150 and its a Carlo Robelli, A Sam Ash bass basically. So I love my bass but its really had a lot of trouble and I dont want to keep messin with such a low quality bass.

So this Wednesday were all goin down to this shop again and I could afford to buy a new bass for about 2 to 3 hundred dollars. And Im wondering if a bass around this price range would be a good investment or would I end up with trouble soon after buying? :help: Keep in mind that Im only 16 and am paying out all the money I make at my job for my car payment and insurance bill. So money doesnt come and go with me.

If anyone would take a stab at this for me i would appreciate it.

-Seth

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ibaniz makes some pretty good instruments in that price range...

3. I think that in this case your best bet is going to be buying a cheaper but quality built bass. I'm not sure how current you are about basses but OLP (officially Licenced product) makes some cheap replica basses of stuff like music man stingrays. a bass like that is generally pretty well built and you could pick it up for very cheap and then upgrade some hardware on it. like new pickups and mabey a new bridge.

all the basses that rondo sells are pretty nice too, and you could do the same thing as I mentioned with the OLP.

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

buying over the net might be your best option in this case.