Is it worth it, MM SR5 HH for Am std P5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cdaniel, Jun 21, 2008.

1. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    I've got a 9 month old Honeyburst SR5 HH that hasn't really grown on me yet. Sometimes it's cool, others it's not. Hard to put a finger on it, but when I put it down at gig and pick up my Deluxe Jazz it sounds so much better in the mix on stage.

I've got the gas for a new American Std P5 and I think I can get a local store to do a straight trade.

While I'd love to add to the stable, I really can't justify it. Would this be a fair trade, or am I better off selling outright?

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    $1600ish versus $1200ish new.
    If this is an equal trade, are you willing to knock off $400 worth of value because it's 9-months used?

3. I've got an 06 HH I'm kinda the same way about. For me it's the placement of the neck pup that just gets in my way. But, as far as pure bass tones go, it's hard to beat. How does the neck on the P-bassV feel compared to the SR-5? Would I do an even trade loosing $400? Sure if the P-bassV was what I really wanted. That's the problem, is it true love or just infatuation?

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    That is absolutly a good deal for a trade from a music store. You just have to decide which bass you like better.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It's a good trade if you like losing 400 bucks. They'll be selling that ray for 1500 at least.

Don't go for the instant gratification. If you don't like the ray, fine, but sell it privately, and get what it's worth, then buy the P5 and have some cash left over. I've lost a lot of money by going the "quicker" route.

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Canada
    Have you considered trading the Stingray 5 HH for a H?

Big difference in tone between the two. The humbucker on the Stingray 5 H is placed in the sweet spot of the body giving you great tone that will cut right through the mix. Plus it's a bit lighter.

Have you considered the new Sterling 5? It's a outstanding bass!

I've owned both H and HH versions of Stingray 5's. Both my Stingray 5 and Sterling 5 are H configurations. I won't go back to the HH config again. Just not my preference.

Food for thought.

TD

7. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I gotta say that any MM is better than a new American Fender. No Offense to my future Scottsdale, AZ employer - cause I love you - but frankly MM has you by the balls as far as putting out manufacturered basses, one by one. that is until CA falls into the ocean via EARTHQUAKE. Get em while you can!

EDIT:

I have experienced both H and HH and I gotta say all the variations of the HH is great, but the fact that you have more finger space to slap with - with the H. I gotta say is GREAT!!!!!

SEE YOU IN SAN LUIS OBISPO!

8. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    Ok thanks for the reality check people. That's the kind of input I was looking for. I wasn't too in touch with what the depreciation factor might be on a lightly used Stingray. So the $1400 range would be a reasonable expectation?

This may be just infatuation. I wish I could try a P5 out in the actual band situation to be sure of the sound.

Agreed the SR5 build quality is better, but the new 08 Fenders are impressive.

Having something lighter would be a plus too. I've never had a chance to get my hands on a Sterling, never seen one in my local shops.

The extra pickup on the HH doesn't really bother me as I'm not much of a slapper. Having the B string is more of a problem when it comes to that.

I figured the tone was similar between the H and HH using just the bridge pickup. I find myself using those switch positions the most. Is there really a noticeable difference? My thinking on the P5 is I don't have a 5 string with "that tone". And I do have a Jackson-5 that has the M/J configuration with the M at the bridge. I've got an old 4 string Charvel P/J that I recently rediscovered that P sound with. That's the current gas pain. I can wait though.

Maybe it's time to get that supporting membership and see if I can make a deal.

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, do it.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that is an excellent trade. The SR5MM is nine months old, not factory new with a warranty. An even up trade for a brand new model is an exceptional trade offer from a music store. Frankly $1,200 is likely more than I would give the Op for his bass if he were selling on TB. IMO, $1,100 would be more like it for a bass that is nearly a year old.:eyebrow:

11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I really do not believe you are going to get anywhere close to $1400.00 for a used SR5. A new American Std Precision 5 is going for around 1200.00 out the door. You are probably not going to get more than $1200.00 for a used SR5 -- probably more like $950.00-$1000.00. So do the math, that is a good trade deal IF you like the Precision 5 better.

12. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yeah, that's on talk bass. A music store doesn't really care if it takes 5 days or 5 months to sell a bass, they have enough money invested in it to keep it until it sells, and someone will eventually buy it. I've traded too much good stuff "straight" for cheaper stuff. The music store wouldn't be doing it if they couldn't make money from it.

With EBMM stuff a lot of resale has to do with color and options. I don't think the HH's resale as well as the single H's either... and classic colors sell a lot better. I think I could still get a great price on my one-piece ash bodied natural with black guard... but I'm not looking to sell it either, haha.

13. Checking the TB classified for SR5-HH they are going for around $1100.00 so a even trade for a pb-V would be a OK trade.

14. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1
    you are not going to get ~$1200 for a semi new/ used sr5, unless it is a rare color.....

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

His bass is honeyburst which is very pretty, but very common.

16. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Also, the P5 is only worth $1100 until he pays for it and walks out the door. Then the initial investment he made on the SR5 is now worth about 800 or 900 bucks.

Not trying to hate or anything. But I think $1100 is a little shy of what the SR5 is worth. TB classified ads are usually priced for quick sales. I think CL usually yields better resale prices but usually takes longer.

But I will give credit to the OP's store, that is a great deal if they really do it like that. I've been told by GC employees in confidence (because I then worked for a GC subsidiary and they had my back, haha) that they give $.25 on the dollar of it's actual value most of the time.

I'm just saying that 99% of the time, someone is better off selling gear privately then using that money to buy something instead of trying to deal with music stores.

17. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    So, what's the consensus on Honeyburst? Not rare I think, but popular, desirable?

18. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I think all rays with some kind of trans finish and an ash or alder body usually do better than a solid finish on poplar. But that's just IMO/IME.

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    EBMM hasn't used poplar in years, even on solid finishes. Honeyburst is popular and very common. MAYBE a music store could get over $1200.00 for the SR5, if it sat long enough and the right mark came in with a pocket full of cash, but I'll bet you wouldn't get over $1000.00 on ebay or in the TB classifieds -- probably a little less. Hey don't take my word for it, post it here or on ebay and let the market dictate the price. You could do a completed auction ebay search for used SR5s and get a pretty good idea, though.

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US