Is it worth it? Scam?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Porkbun, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Ive been watching this Schecter Studio 5 for a while now on Ebay (its been relisted like two times) but I just cant bring myself to place a bid on it. This is due to the low seller feedback and I cant tell if its a good deal or not. Ive also almost been scammed twice on Ebay by very convincing Nigerians and this seems a little too good to be true for me. The bass new is $800 and the seller is including a bunch of extras and is even offering to include new strings and new batteries! Itll only take one more incident for me to lose all faith in the internet :rollno: And I cant just ask the seller " why is your bass priced so cheap!?"
    This ones in my price range and I cant wait much longer as I have a concert with school coming up and my current bass is falling apart. Would you buy it or leave it for someone else? what would your reason be? Ive only got a month or so before the concert!

2. it may have a reserve...if you could buy for $600 plus shipping probably a pretty decent deal, doesn't seem stellar seeing how the 15w amp probably leaves a little to be desired.

3. Starting bid is $600.00 not final price. Are the extras worth it to you, thats what you have to decide. As the previous poster points out you can get brand new from a quality dealer for $749.00. To me save your $$ buy a new one at a local GC they stock this bass.

4. 19 positives for his feedback, and 100% all positive, what are so worried about?
    Besides, just because the bidding started at $600 doesn't mean it'll go for that. I've seen cars listed for $0.01, and ended up selling (finally) at the book value for that particular vehicle.

5. Coliah

Coliah

Jun 12, 2009
    Just bid on it...if he doesn't come through you can get your money back...paypal always sides with the purchaser.

6. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I've seen them sell for less, used but in good condition.

7. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I don't think $600 for a used $750 bass is a such a good deal. That's probably why he's trying to sweeten it with strings. HE spends $20 to try to make seem special (and a $2 battery) just speaks of desperation, not dishonesty. The other stuff is just cleaning out his
    closet.

If you want it, go for it, I doesn't smell of fraud, just no great shake for you.

8. What this guys sellin it for doesn't seem too low to make me suspicious. Not to mention the seller's got 100% positive feedback. I'd say go for it! :)

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I would say forget about the bidding wars and all the trepidation and cut to the chase.

The axe sells used @ MF for $650.00 .... no strap.. no gig bag... no strings.. no fresh batteries... but you probably have all that and guess what... NO WORRIES.

The guy may be totally legit... but I have learned to listen to that small voice in the back of my head.. because when I don't 8 times out of 10 I regret it.

For what it is worth I got my SS5 from a pawnshop for $500.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    low seller feedback = BAD BAD BAD

Don't do it.

11. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Well the seller relisted it twice since ive been watching it ( while scouring the interwebs for similar packages) so there doesnt seem to be much interest. Buying this package will free me from my dependency on the shaky school equipment. If it falls through it will be months before I can get my money and I will have to stand at a certain angle throughout a two hour concert. I fell in love with this bass after playing it in store and after going through this persons feedback, I see that their only other selling feedback was: "Good Communication, No Issues." Im really on the fence here between what I need and what my mom and my experiences tell me. Either way I just sent him a question asking if there was anything wrong with any of the equipment

12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    He wants $600 for it.. for $50 more you can get a bass with a guarantee.. with 30 days to return it in the link I posted from MF.. I dunno.. I'd be more inclined to take the safer bet if I were in your shoes... I have never seen an ebay pitch quite like that one..

13. If anything its priced too high...not a deal by any stretch

14. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Normally I would go for the much safer choice and the only reason I call it a deal is because Ill have to buy all the things included eventually...The fake spector thread earlier didnt help either

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The "extras" that he's including are not worth the trouble. Don't base your decision on that stuff. And even with new strings etc., $600 for that package is not "too good to be true", it's "barely adequate as a used price". Skip it--another one will come up soon, cheaper, from a more reliable source.

16. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    It's certainly not too good to be true. $600 for a used one is on the high side. A few months ago Bass Northwest had one of these for $500, and that includes free setups on that bass for life. If a *store* can make money selling a used one in excellent condition for $100 less, this is no big deal. In fact, I saw a Schecter Studio Elite-5 (same neck-thru design, same pickups, maple quilt veneer over alder instead of bubinga, bound neck) listed on line for a pawnshop for $299.

It's a buyers' market. A lot of people are dumping nice instruments at pretty attractive prices. Every nice bass is not your last chance to get one. There are plenty of these out there and $600 is at the top of the range for a used one. You can get German-made Warwick Corvette Standards for around this money, even in 5-string.

Take a deep breath.

17. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Well heres another curveball. He dropped the price another $50 again and answered my question:

"There is nothing wrong with the amp, I almost always play without it and same with my strap which Ive never worn because it was too long for me. The Ibanez gig bag has some wear near the bottom (where the strap holder is on the bass) the cord is flawless, used as many times as the amp. The bass itself has 3 small cracks in the finish which were hard to capture with my camera. The strings and batteries will be bought right before shipping. I even lowered the price another 50 dollars to encourage buying. Thanks for your Interest!"

18. $550 is not a good deal for that bass used. Plus the guy has low feedback (as low as ME and that says a LOT ;) ). Every Guitar Center I've been in in the last 3 years had a steady supply of these Schecters. You'll find a better, less risky deal elsewhere.

19. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    I just bought a studio-4 off ebay for $280, list $799. If you pay with paypal, you are protected and over the last 10 years, I've had a few disputes and have always got my money back via paypal. It's gotten even better in the last year or so.

20. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    The reason he has had to list it twice before and listing it again is that his price is TOO HIGH. Studio 5's come up all the time on ebay and seldom make the $500 mark. There is one seller who's selling 2nd's with minor finish blems for around $350.

One comment though...the studio's are SWEET sounding instruments!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021