Is it worth it? Scam?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Porkbun, Mar 10, 2010.

1. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Actually, if it has been relisted twice on eBay, he's selling it too high. The WHOLE WORLD doesn't want it for $600. Two weeks in a row no less!!

I'd say e-mail him and ask him if he'll put it at $500 on a Buy-It-Now deal. If he does, buy it now. If he wants to finish a deal outside of eBay, be careful. You will forfeit all eBay and most PayPal protections by doing a deal outside of ebay. But I would try to negotiate a lower price with him. Tell him you can walk down the street and buy the bass new for $150 more. He can't argue with the truth.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's not a curveball, and you are wasting your time on this.

3. melarson

melarson

Feb 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Even if the bass is worth $550 and are regularly selling for that, which seems high based on other posts, if you start out too high you don't get bids.

I've sold a few things on ebay, mostly little stuff, and one thing I've found is if you start too high people won't bid. If I'd start a listing at $10 it wouldn't get a bid, so I'd relist it at $.99 and it would sell for $15! You have to get the most people emotionally invested in it and bidding.

I just bought an MTD KZ 5 with a an upgraded Bartolini NTMB pre amp and double gig bag for $520/free shipping. I was super pumped, bidding started at $500 and I was only the 3rd bidder.

The moral of the story is, don't let the lack of bids scare you. Do your research if you like the deal take it.

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    How, exactly, is a seller supposed to start??

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    As several others have pointed out, he's relisted this bass twice because it's not presenting an attractive deal.

This ebay seller is fine, but why buy it when someone has posted MUCH better deals on this site?

6. Completed listings for that bass that sold went for between $385 and $450. Seems even with extras that might be a bit high. Just sayin'.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I have a fantastic Studio5 with custom wound Kent Armstrong humbucker pickups, Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, hipshot black tuners, and black individual string bridges.

If I ever decided to sell it I would realistically not expect to get more than $500 or $550 for it WITH all those upgrades... if that much.

What something sells for new has nothing to do with the used price. All that matter is what they're currently selling for.

Check ebay past auctions on used ones. Check past sales here. Ebay sales will often be a little higher, but the seller has to pay fee's. It's usually a wash in the end.

8. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    For $50 less, why not get this new with full factory warranty?

74876.jpg

It's also a neck-thru with humbuckers and active circuitry, and was a direct competitor to the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5. You could get these for $399 until GC/MF/M123 sold out their supply. American Musical Supply is the best price remaining. Some online sellers still want $749.95 for this bass.

Walk away from that $600 cosmetically challenged used Studio with worthless goodies thrown in. If you must have a Schecter Stiletto Studio, a better one for less money will come along soon.

9. that doesn't look like a great deal to me. I'm not a fan of their necktru's. The transition from neck to body just feels funky to me..

I second the recomendation for the Ibanez posted above! They even put a new model out this year with EMG's.

10. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Well it dropped down to $425 now. I think Ill wait now :D

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021