Is it worth it to buy a Steinberger?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MorganM, Sep 4, 2002.

1. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I've always wanted to just own a steinberger.
    Do you think they are worth the couple of hundred you can get them for.
    Can you mod them to sound good. And if not "good", maybe "unique".

I'm just curious about these basses and seeing as they are realitively cheap I am even more drawn to the idea.
  2. If you like the body shape and the headless neck, I wouyld say yes.. go get the Steinburger..
    I do believe they worth the money.
  3. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    It would just be a bass you would own for the sake of it's uniqueness (is that a word :confused: )
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I believe they are worth the money. I got one of the (pre musicYo:) ) Spirits with the intention of upgrading the pickups, but I think they sound pretty good; however, all my basses sound good through my Demeter.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Are you talking about an original Steinberger? Yes, oh yes - they're worth every penny!

A MusicYo? Yep, they're a good value. I'd say they're built as well as a MIM Fender, and better than most Squiers I've seen. Replace the pickups and they're killer, but they are very playable as-is.
  6. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Plus they make excellent brooms.
  7. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Mine has been to England, Saudi, Portugal, etc.
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    They are good, and very cheap. Quality is rather high, from what I've seen.
    (I managed to break a tuner on a bass in a shop once, but noone was able to find out how that happened:confused: But that is the single quality incident I have ever heard of)
  9. I played an XL-2 on 3 Tops in Blue world tours. Very ideal for the road; graphite-composite good for different climates, quick to change strings, sounds good, straight neck, active electronics, no change due to temp/humidity/elevation, etc....

However, it's the ONLY bass I've ever broke strings on and it just doesn't HUG you like a good P-bass does. I felt it was cold and lifeless but optimized for the road.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I played one when I sat in with the Rogues for a set in Savannah. All in all, they may be ugly, but their tone just sucks.
  11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have a 16 year old Cort that I believe was made in the same factory as the newer Music Yo Steinbergers. It is neck thru, maple wings. About the only difference I've seen between the two is my bass has a P Pickup in the neck position. The very first advantage to this bass is it weighs 5lbs.
    The neck thru design gives it more sustain. It is also small enough to be carried on to most airlines and stored in the cabin. I replaced the stock mighty mite pus with barts. With SS strings this baby sings. I also prefer the wood over graphite for its tone, but I am partial to Maple for its tone. YMMV
  12. ZonMan

Sep 10, 2002
    Berkley, MI USA
    There is a WORLD of difference between the original all-graphite composite Steinberger L2 or XL basses and the newer all-wood "Spirit" basses. For almost all of the Steinberger info you could ever hope to digest, check out

As for me, I absolutely love my Steiny and wouldn't trade it for anything. Mine is a Pre-Gibson XM2T, which means it has a wood P-bass shaped body, graphite neck, and the TransTrem system. Only about 140 TT basses were ever made, and of those, I don't know how many were White "M" body style, so mine is VERY rare indeed. :)

I also owned a Spirit Steinberger for a very short time. About a month. The fretboard started cracking around the first 2 frets, and they were lifting out. Don't ask me how. The replacement that the music store got in was mangled beyond belief. Looked like it was run over by a truck. Control knobs were literally crushed and the cavity caved in. There was also rust or some sort of funky oxidation all over the metal parts (bridge, leg rest, etc.) Funny, the box/pakaging it was in wasn't damaged at all, so it must've been shipped that way. The next replacement they sent had a neck that was so warped it wasn't even playable. The next replacement had a buzz on the A string that couldn't be fixed without raising the action WAY too high (very poor fretjob).

The next one burned down, fell over, and THEN sank into the swamp. :D (Monty Python humor for those who didn't catch that)

Seriously, though, the Spirits have had their share of absolutely horrible Quality Control. An original graphite-necked Steiny? Buy one! Yes, it's worth it. A new all-wood Spirit? Be very very careful.